Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H
CPU
i5-4670
Graphics
RX 570
Hi all,

When idle my computer produces a faint click 2-3 times a second (reminds me of an analogue wrist watch), which does not stop. I am assuming that it is my HDD drive, as it has a similar tone to when the drive is reading/writing, plus the front case LED flickers as it does when the hard drives are in use. I've ruled out any fan noises as well. Searching the forums lead me to the HDAPM utility (set at MAX and at 230), but that does not solve the problem.

I've done some digging around and found a few oddities (to me at least) that may or may not be related:

1. Activity Monitor shows "kernel_task" and "logd" as being the most intense CPU and DISK usage.
2. My computer will sleep/wake manually, but will never enter sleep mode while idle. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes.
3. My console activity shows "...found bogus extentref tree entry..." being constantly cycled, with hundreds of thousands of messages logged. It also writes a new message at a similar interval as the faint click I hear. This of course could be coincidental.

A screenshot of the console screen is attached, listing half a million messages.

My system specs are as follows:

OS X Mojave
iMac 14,2
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
Haswell i5 4670 3.4GHz
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory (I forget which brand)
EVGA GTX 760 2GB
120GB SSD (MacOS + admin)
2TB HDD (home folder + storage)
3TB HDD (Windows 7)
ASUS USB-BT400 Bluetooth (mouse and audio)
Dual screen 2008 23" Apple displays

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. The faint click is driving me nuts!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.55.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.55.32 PM.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hi all,

When idle my computer produces a faint click 2-3 times a second (reminds me of an analogue wrist watch), which does not stop. I am assuming that it is my HDD drive, as it has a similar tone to when the drive is reading/writing, plus the front case LED flickers as it does when the hard drives are in use. I've ruled out any fan noises as well. Searching the forums lead me to the HDAPM utility (set at MAX and at 230), but that does not solve the problem.

I've done some digging around and found a few oddities (to me at least) that may or may not be related:

1. Activity Monitor shows "kernel_task" and "logd" as being the most intense CPU and DISK usage.
2. My computer will sleep/wake manually, but will never enter sleep mode while idle. I have it set to sleep after 10 minutes.
3. My console activity shows "...found bogus extentref tree entry..." being constantly cycled, with hundreds of thousands of messages logged. It also writes a new message at a similar interval as the faint click I hear. This of course could be coincidental.

A screenshot of the console screen is attached, listing half a million messages.

My system specs are as follows:

OS X Mojave
iMac 14,2
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
Haswell i5 4670 3.4GHz
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory (I forget which brand)
EVGA GTX 760 2GB
120GB SSD (MacOS + admin)
2TB HDD (home folder + storage)
3TB HDD (Windows 7)
ASUS USB-BT400 Bluetooth (mouse and audio)
Dual screen 2008 23" Apple displays

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. The faint click is driving me nuts!

A couple of things you may try.

Bios settings check CPU settings maybe in overclock section for cStates enabled.

Also in clover in clover boot menu under CPU settings enable cStates and enable c6.

I use these settings on my Haswell systems and sleep works pretty well.

There are also halt enabler and pStates you could test out.

Thanks for the suggestion. C6 appears to be selected in Clover already. As for the bios, all are set to auto. Not sure if I should enable them, but I assume auto is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back