E5-1620v3
Graphics
RX560d
Hello all , I have a workstation with configuration as follow:

Lenovo P500 Workstation
E5-1620v3
32G x 2 Ram
500G SSD x 3

And I have installed dual boot with 10.15.4 and Windows 10 working fine .
One HD for OSX , one for Windows , and one for TimeMachine.

Today I have upgrade the CPU from E5-1620v3 to E5-2697v3
and I found I could only boot Windows 10 and failed to boot MacOSX
I have tried -x / -f / cpus=1 with no luck
I google around and it should have no problem to upgrade with the same CPU family
Is there anyone could send me ideas of this problem ?

config.plist is working for E5-1620v3 but failed for E5-2697v3

Attachments

• config.plist
    27.6 KB · Views: 58
have exactly the same situation. Replaced 2678v3 with 2697v3, Windows 10 boots, Catalina 10.15.7 is not.

How have you dealt with the increase in the number of cores and threads in the new CPU? Have you included them in the config.plist ACPI section, i.e renaming the threads to match what macOS expects. This was a common requirement for most X79, X99 or X299 boards.

The E5-1620v3 is close to the configuration of a number of Haswell desktop CPU's, i.e. 4 cores and 8 threads, same as an i7-4770 etc. So it would work without any CPU thread renaming requirements, just the correct SSDT-PLUG.aml pointing to the first thread in the CPU.

The E5-2697v3 contains 14 cores and 28 threads, so nothing like a desktop CPU from the Haswell series. Any Apple systems using a high end, multi core/thread setup of this age was to be found in the MacPro range.
  1. Which SMBIOS are you using?
  2. Are you using a TscSync.kext with this multi core/thread CPU?
  3. Are you using XHCI-Unsupported.kext for your USB device to be recognised?
  4. Are you using any custom SSDT's?
I have attached a Clover config.plist that was created for an X99 system, using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.
  • It contains the common rename patches etc. for a multi core/thread system.
  • I removed the Serial Number etc.
  • So a new SMBIOS needs to be generated and checked the it is not being used by a real Mac Pro with Apple Support.
  • It doesn't contain any USB port limit patches, so you would need to add the 2 x Catalina port limit patches.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 45
I solved the problem with a patch in the kernel.
Find - 483d0000 0040
Replace - 483d0000 0080
Clover/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch # OC/Kernel/Patch

How have you dealt with the increase in the number of cores and threads in the new CPU? Have you included them in the config.plist ACPI section, i.e renaming the threads to match what macOS expects. This was a common requirement for most X79, X99 or X299 boards.

The E5-1620v3 is close to the configuration of a number of Haswell desktop CPU's, i.e. 4 cores and 8 threads, same as an i7-4770 etc. So it would work without any CPU thread renaming requirements, just the correct SSDT-PLUG.aml pointing to the first thread in the CPU.

The E5-2697v3 contains 14 cores and 28 threads, so nothing like a desktop CPU from the Haswell series. Any Apple systems using a high end, multi core/thread setup of this age was to be found in the MacPro range.
  1. Which SMBIOS are you using?
  2. Are you using a TscSync.kext with this multi core/thread CPU?
  3. Are you using XHCI-Unsupported.kext for your USB device to be recognised?
  4. Are you using any custom SSDT's?
I have attached a Clover config.plist that was created for an X99 system, using the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.
  • It contains the common rename patches etc. for a multi core/thread system.
  • I removed the Serial Number etc.
  • So a new SMBIOS needs to be generated and checked the it is not being used by a real Mac Pro with Apple Support.
  • It doesn't contain any USB port limit patches, so you would need to add the 2 x Catalina port limit patches.
Thank you for your attention, today I saw your message, everything is fine, I solved the problem a long time ago, only now I came here.
I have SMBIOS iMacPro1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back