Contribute
Register

Extract DSDT using Ubuntu; other ProBook Install questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Envy << need manufacturer name and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
hi rehabman
i just tried to run ubuntu from a usb stick (following your instructions on github) so i could try to make my own dsdt
it took me over an hour to get to the ubuntu desktop and then when when i was in the desktop, everything i clicked on was soooo slow...like clicking on system settings so i could log into the wifi...there was a latency from when i clicked the mouse to when anything actually happened of around 3-5 minutes...basically it was unusable

so my questions...did i do anything wrong in regards to running ubuntu from the usb

how can i make it faster/more responsive?

btw this was the 32 bit ubuntu? would the 64 bit version be better to use?

basically after a couple of hours twiddling my thumbs, i still haven't been able to extract a dsdt with the usb ubuntu because everything was so slow

Guide to Installing Lion on HP Probook

hi rehabman
i just tried to run ubuntu from a usb stick (following your instructions on github) so i could try to make my own dsdt
it took me over an hour to get to the ubuntu desktop and then when when i was in the desktop, everything i clicked on was soooo slow...like clicking on system settings so i could log into the wifi...there was a latency from when i clicked the mouse to when anything actually happened of around 3-5 minutes...basically it was unusable

so my questions...did i do anything wrong in regards to running ubuntu from the usb

how can i make it faster/more responsive?

btw this was the 32 bit ubuntu? would the 64 bit version be better to use?

basically after a couple of hours twiddling my thumbs, i still haven't been able to extract a dsdt with the usb ubuntu because everything was so slow

Maybe it was the version of Ubuntu you used. I'm still using the same 12.04LTS that I created this summer...

it was 12.10....ill give the earlier version a try

i tried 12.04 on a USB stick too (a different stick)
same deal...took over an hour to get to the desktop and then its was so sluggish it was basically unable
but i tried
i am wondering if it will work better if i install it to a real hard drive and connect that via usb instead of using a stick?

i think you may be right...something else going on (i have tried 2 different usb sticks, i figured the first one i tried with 12.10 was probably uber slow, so i tried a different one for 12.04)

i can cope with the really long install time, although when i have used live cds or dvds in the past, i have never encountered such a lenghty install

the real problem is the lack of responsiveness after you get to the ubuntu desktop....

seems like it has affected others who have tried to run ubuntu from a usb stick too

http://askubuntu.com/questions/1347...-when-running-ubuntu-installed-on-a-usb-drive

im not sure what bios settings i would have to change to make it work better and i am starting to think that the effort its taking to try to do this is out of all proportion to any benefits i might get from extracting my own dsdt, particlarly as my probook seems to be working reasonably well....nevertheless, i will keep trying over the next few days

i think you may be right...something else going on (i have tried 2 different usb sticks, i figured the first one i tried with 12.10 was probably uber slow, so i tried a different one for 12.04)

i can cope with the really long install time, although when i have used live cds or dvds in the past, i have never encountered such a lenghty install

the real problem is the lack of responsiveness after you get to the ubuntu desktop....

seems like it has affected others who have tried to run ubuntu from a usb stick too

http://askubuntu.com/questions/1347...-when-running-ubuntu-installed-on-a-usb-drive

im not sure what bios settings i would have to change to make it work better and i am starting to think that the effort its taking to try to do this is out of all proportion to any benefits i might get from extracting my own dsdt, particlarly as my probook seems to be working reasonably well....nevertheless, i will keep trying over the next few days

If you are just after extracting your DSDT, there are a couple of other ways:

- In Windows, using RW-Everything
- In OS X (yes, OS X). As long as you don't have a dual-link display (ie. 4530s with updated screen, or 4730s with dual-link display), you can do this with DSDT Editor:
- Boot into your normal installation with DSDT=No (type it at Chimera screen before hitting enter)
(This causes Chimera to ignore your installed /Extra/DSDT.aml)
(You will not have WiFi or Audio, like when you first installed OS X)
- Now run DSDT Editor, and choose File -> Extract DSDT
- Let it load (it will take a while)
- Now choose File -> Save DSL As...
- This will save your unpatched DSDT as a DSL (text file)
- Now you can restart (this time boot normally to use your previously installed DSDT.aml), then follow the instructions for patching, but substitute loading your DSL saved above instead of a binary AML you would have gotten from Linux/Windows.

*** Note: The OS X extraction doesn't work for dual-link displays because you need to boot with a DSDT to get a readable screen, and if you boot with a DSDT, DSDT Editor only extracts the DSDT "in use", not the raw one from BIOS.

thanks

yep...just want to extract the dsdt

i will try the osx method a bit later...

my plan is to get this all ready and done and then i am going to get a replacement screen in the next few days

i have been able to extract and patch my own dsdt using the rehabman instructions (thank you rehab man) and all seems to work well except for one thing i noticed this morning

i tried to use the Fn key to turn the volume down - always has worked before but doesnt anymore. i discovered that the cntrl key has now become the Fn key

is there a way to make the Fn key become the Fn key again? is there a benefit to using the option to disable the Fn key using the latest installer (i.e. how do you use the keyboard to increase/lower volume if you choose this option)

i will be replacing my screen either later today or over the weekend (i have the 1080 dsdt ready too)

i have been able to extract and patch my own dsdt using the rehabman instructions (thank you rehab man) and all seems to work well except for one thing i noticed this morning

i tried to use the Fn key to turn the volume down - always has worked before but doesnt anymore. i discovered that the cntrl key has now become the Fn key

is there a way to make the Fn key become the Fn key again? is there a benefit to using the option to disable the Fn key using the latest installer (i.e. how do you use the keyboard to increase/lower volume if you choose this option)

i will be replacing my screen either later today or over the weekend (i have the 1080 dsdt ready too)

Reset your EC:
- shutdown
- unplug
- remove battery
- hold down power button 60sec
- put everything back

Reset your EC:
- shutdown
- unplug
- remove battery
- hold down power button 60sec
- put everything back

thank you...this worked great...my screen has arrived, the new cable is 'out for delivery' according to the tracking note...hope to be upgrading the screen later

i assume that after i have installed the screen, its just a matter of replacing the dsdt to the 1080 version ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back