Contribute
Register

/Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
jetway
CPU
i7
Graphics
inbuilt
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I thought it was cool to put extra hackintosh kext files into /Extra/Extensions keeping /System/Library/Extensions the same as on a mac install?

But multibeast is putting stuff into /System/Library/Extensions?

The reason I prefer the /S/L/E is that when you use "UseKernelCache=Yes" the kexts in /Extra/Extensions are not loaded.

Using "UseKernelCache=Yes" speeds up boot process because only cached kexts get loaded, and only from /S/L/E, instead of trying to load each and every kext in both locations. (see for yourself with verbose mode during boot)

mcbyte_it said:
The reason I prefer the /S/L/E is that when you use "UseKernelCache=Yes" the kexts in /Extra/Extensions are not loaded.

Using "UseKernelCache=Yes" speeds up boot process because only cached kexts get loaded, and only from /S/L/E, instead of trying to load each and every kext in both locations. (see for yourself with verbose mode during boot)
thanks for this, how do i know if i'm using "UseKernelCache=Yes"? i didn't turn this on myself unless something has done it automatically.

is it in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Yes, it's in "/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist"

It is available as an option in MultiBeast, If you selected it during install it will put that parameter automatically.

anyway, you can also know if the kexts in /Extra/Extensions are not loaded

ok, so i don't have "UseKernelCache=Yes"

meaning that i can put kext files in /S/L/E or /Extra/Extensions to the same effect?

and only different between the two is boot time right?

Correct.
Run the Migration tool in MultiBeast first (moves your kexts from /Extra to S/L/E and repairs permissions), then run MB again to install the UseKernelCache key in org.chameleon.boot.plist
The first time you reboot it might load every kext in the system, but the time and after it will use the cache.

but i would rather have hackintosh kexts in /Extras!

I don't care about boot time.

how can i install the kexts manually into /Extras without multibeast?

Do what you've been doing till now:
copy the kexts you need into /Extra/Extensions, and be sure to have UserKernelCache is not set or set to "No".

and to be sure they have the correct permissions and clean caches, use "Kext Utility" or "Kext Wizard" after you do changes to that folder.

what i have been doing until now is use multibeast which doesn't put them in extras!

my question is how to do this without multibeast!

First you need to know what kexts you need and/or are being added by MultiBeast to /S/L/E, and copy them manually to /Extra/Extensions (make sure you remove them from the original folder, but not to move important files, because you don't know what will happen if you move important system kexts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back