HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've tried to connect to all available USB2 & 3 ports on the motherboard but keep getting the error "USB Device Needs Power"
Is this a Gigabyte issue or lack of the correct USB / BIOS config from my install.

I've tried to connect to all available USB2 & 3 ports on the motherboard but keep getting the error "USB Device Needs Power"
Is this a Gigabyte issue or lack of the correct USB / BIOS config from my install.
Try a powered hub. Alternatively it being an Apple device maybe it uses the 'extra operating current' feature, on recent macOS/iMac14,2 you'd need to have the AppleBusPowerController driver loaded. That matches on the device name 'EC'. A Clover rename patch should allow it to load.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 21.02.55.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 21.02.55.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 194
So in the meanwhile, I connected my external SuperDrive to a powered usb3 hub and while I’m no longer getting the error about not getting enough power, the SuperDrive or the hub is not recognized in OSX system. Not sure where to go from here.

Without the hub, the SuperDrive is definitely recognized but just not getting enough power. Is there a setting somewhere that allows a Powered hub to be recognized? Seems like it’s just an external USB but who knows?

Try a powered hub. Alternatively it being an Apple device maybe it uses the 'extra operating current' feature, on recent macOS/iMac14,2 you'd need to have the AppleBusPowerController driver loaded. That matches on the device name 'EC'. A Clover rename patch should allow it to load.

Thanks for the info. Adding a powered hub seems to have made matters worse as now the hub is not recognized and the SuperDrive is not recognized, and seems like it’s still not getting the required power, Although it’s hard to tell because neither show up in the system report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back