Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
When I first set up my hackintosh (i7-4790K, Z97X mobo, GTX 970, OS X 10.10.5), when I shut down my computer, my external hard drives would stay on. I could hear and feel them still spinning, or at least their fans were still needlessly blowing and the cases felt warm. The drives did not do this when connected to my 2010 Macbook Pro (OS X 10.6.8). When I shut that machine off, or even just closed the lid, the external HDs would power down, as you'd expect/want.

I looked into this and thought maybe it had to do with my motherboards ErP Disabled setting. I changed it to Enabled, and now power is no longer supplied to my external HDs when the system is shut off. This sort of solves the problem, except that when I shut my computer down, all of the connected HDs make a sudden, screech/click sound, like they aren't shutting down "safely." Is this normal? It's sort of a pitched click sound when it shuts off, rather than a smooth, silent power down.

How do I fix this? Why does it work perfectly on my MBP, but not my hackintosh? Is it actually just a behavior difference between Yosemite and Snow Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back