Motherboard
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
CPU
i7 930
Graphics
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I've been a lurker for some time gleaning some really excellent information. Now I have a question I wasn't able to answer via the search function.

When attempting to use iBoot to boot into either my system (I know that's not what it's for bear with me a moment) or to install Snow Leopard, I get the following error.

Code:
reading ramdisk image: bt(0,0)/Extra/Preboot.dmg
no ramdisk config...

mounting: done
Unknown device 'hd'
Unknown device 'hd'
Unknown device 'hd'
Unknown device 'hd'
Unable to start Symbols.dylib

This also happens when booting into the system with Chimera, except the error is only

Code:
Unknown device 'hd'
Unknown device 'hd'
Unknown device 'hd'
Unknown device 'hd'
Unable to start Symbols.dylib

This is definitely due to my external hard drive. (WD 750 GB MyBook) When I unplug it there is no issue.

Now, this only happens when my external has more than 1 partition on it. When I use it as a single partition, say for backup or as a super large USB install backup, or even a blank MBR partition everything is fine.

But when I have it set up as I want, it won't work. (2 partitions. 730 GB for Time Machine, 20 GB for SL install, Multibeast, Combo Update 10.6.8, and my DSDT.aml file)

I'm at a loss as to why this is happening, as last time I set up SL a few weeks ago this same drive behaved perfectly normally. It only happened after I installed Lion via xMove to the external, so I had 3 partitions. Then I decide to go back to SL for now, wiped it, restored the SL install, etc. I've partitioned the drive numerous times (even from GUID to MBR and back to GUID) to see if that helped.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm still hung up on this. For the moment I've got my external with only 1 partition as time machine, and I'm backing up my SL disc on a partition on my main drive.

Same problem here !! Im looking for answer to this problem it sucks that every time my computer reboot I have to disconnect the USB HDD !!! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back