Contribute
Register

expresscard missing on 4540s and 4440s! What options do we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I was JUST about to pull the trigger on a 4440s and realized that the expresscard slot is no longer an option on this laptop! Does that mean no more eGPU? No more firewire?

Anyone else find this prohibitive?

Now I'm wondering if I should just saw screw it and get a 4430s instead :p
I really want usb 3.0, but hey, that's what the expresscard slot is for right?
Also sucks that I won't be able to get a processor with the hd4000

I just bought a brand new 4540s, I am very disapointed because I need firewire for my job. No firewire, no expresscard slot (I was expecting one).
I wrote to HP, waiting for their propositions...
If I find one I will inform you

I just bought a brand new 4540s, I am very disapointed because I need firewire for my job. No firewire, no expresscard slot (I was expecting one).
I wrote to HP, waiting for their propositions...
If I find one I will inform you

I feel like they're not going to do anything except offer to exchange it for a different laptop. But this series is what's most compatible with ivy bridge.

I'm trying to figure out a firewire solution with this laptop but I just don't think it's possible.
No expresscard slot (and no adapters let you use pci-e, only usb based)
No firewire port
No thunderbolt port

I'm just going to have to modify my workflow I guess :/

Unless someone is offering a USB3<->FW adapter that happens to work??

Of course, if they have the skills to create such a thing, they are probably creating something with a bit more demand...

Unless someone is offering a USB3<->FW adapter that happens to work??

Of course, if they have the skills to create such a thing, they are probably creating something with a bit more demand...
Yeah, I looked into those hardcore. Nothing official exists that I can find. An internal mpcie slot might work, like the one for the egpu mods, but no one seems to have attempted that either. Would require much custom hardware.

My kingdom for a thunderbolt port! :)

Just now looking at that laptop, seems a little bulky for what I want. Trying to stay as small, lite, and vanilla as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back