Contribute
Register

Experience with Thunderbolt Display, Magic Mouse & Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I'm currently using a Macbook Pro from 2013 with a Thunderbolt Display, a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard for Music Production & Coding in Xcode. Even though it has 16 GB RAM and an i7, it's too slow for the most tasks.

I wanted to get an iMac Pro for about 10,000 $ (with 10 core Intel Xeon & 64 GB RAM), but a friend told me that I could get a Hackintosh with better performance for a third of the money. I researched a bit and now I have a question.

I really love my Thunderbolt Display and my Magic Mouse and Keyboard. Do they work properly with a Hackintosh? Does anyone have experience with it? Which hardware would I need in addition for supporting those devices?

And are services like iCloud work properly?

Or should I just buy the iMac Pro?

Thank you in advance :)

I’ve got the same setup as you. The keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse can work straight out of the box as long as you get a compatible WiFi and Bluetooth card for your computer.

I bought a BCM943602CS module from Amazon but for my second build I could not find this anywhere. Google compatible Bluetooth / Bluetooth WiFi cards and you’ll get a list. You won’t have to do anything to get then running. Install OS X and they’ll work with no problems.

For the Thunderbolt Display, you’ll have to have a motherboard that either has a Thunderbolt 3 port (not too many of those) or one that will accept a AIC (add in card). You’ll get two flavours of these cards. Gigabyte make the AC Alpine Ridge and Titan Tidge cards. Asus make the ThunderboltEx cards.

For my build I went with a Gigabyte AORUS Gaming 3 motherboard. For a Hackintosh it’s as solid as a rock. I then added a GC Alpine Ridge card. Note: you motherboard must have a TH header port on it. That will let you plug your card into the board. Itself the card will sit in a PCIE slot, but you also have to plug in the header cable. Once that’s done, you have to load up a windows partition, install and activate the AIC, and then plug in your Display to see if it works. If all is good you can just fire up OS X and it should work.

I got mine working yesterday and it works well. I don’t yet have the USB ports or the camera working but it’s something I’m sure is fixable.

If you have any other questions let me know.

I have managed to get the bluetooth working and it connects to the Magic Mouse and keyboard, but the gestures do not seem to work. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back