Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
32GB RAM
CPU
Graphics
GTX770 4GB
Hi

I've had a multi boot / multi disk set up running Mavericks / Win 10 / KXStudio (Ubuntu) for ages but after adding a couple of drives for a Windows RAID 0 the boot menu shows the Linux Tux Icon along with the new RAID but on selecting Tux I get an error about unknown partition, grub rescue comes up, trying to use grub rescue with 'ls' provides a list of (hd,gpt) partitions but trying to list any of them tells me 'unknown filesystem'.

Is there anyway I can edit the boot menu to get Linux to boot correctly.

I have never had this problem because i do not do RAID in the PC/PC-Mac. RAID is for storage only IMHO and i do storage separately from the PC. Is the problem occurring before or after you set up the RAID volume? If after, take a look at how you set up your RAID0. Did you use the on-board UEFI to set up the RAID0? Are the new drives connected to a PCIe card with a RAID controller? i.e. is it a hardware RAID or software RAID?
If it is UEFI setup, this is your problem - get rid of it. If you are using a PCIe card with RAID controller you may need to do a bit of research on the Ubuntu site.

Hi

First of all I appreciate the difference between dedicated RAID on a dedicated card versus mobo setup. But I'm using the Asus X79 board RAID options, one is Marvel the other Intel, I'm using the Intel. The bios is set to RAID.

Mac works fine except for the initialize unknown disks which is an accident waiting to happen and I see a way of fixing that, Win 10 works fine and I'm getting a sustained 120 to 160mb/s through the RAID 0 for video editing / compositing cache space, it could bork tomorrow and I'd miss nothing just set it up again.

The RAID is configured on boot, not in bios apart from RAID disk mode, the ctrl I option in post boot, then defined as a simple volume and formatted NTFS in Win 10.

I think my issue is just where the initial boot menu is pointing to the Linux install?

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Suggestion - I found it better to RAID the Marvell ports for Windows apps scratch disk back when I had 10 drives connected to my X58A board and was triple booting from that setup. Leave the Intel PCH driven SATA ports for the ODD, the OS X drive, the Win Boot drive and the Linux drive. Like so:
White SATA6 ports OS X and Windows drives
Blue SATA3 ports for the ODD and Linux drive - leaves you 2 spare
Marvell SATA6 ports configured for RAID for your Windows drives NTFS RAID0 setup

Funny you should mention that, when I first set the RAID up I followed advice on the net to use Marvel instead and originally set it up that way, but changed to Intel because performance under marvel seemed a bit flaky, however that may have been a dodgy SATA lead connection to the mobo, they're crammed in under the graphics card. But followed your advice, set it up again and I'll have another go. I also ensure I do a full format not quick format of the RAID which appears to make a big difference in final read / write performance.

Think I'll end up reinstalling Linux, I have a spare 160GB partition but would prefer to resolve the grub issue, which looking at the bios is confusing, I have a drive choice in bios for 'ubuntu' as an overide, if I boot that I can use set prefix= to /boot/grub, set the root, insmod and get to the typical grub boot OS list, includes Win 10 & Mac, but drive names appears non gpt?, Choosing Ubuntu from the list gets me to a login prompt for a default KXStudio but my password doesn't work, mounting the drive in a Live CD session I can see the username is correct ie: home folder, so thinking it must be an older install with an old password, probably my XUbuntu set up listed in my sig.

If I boot using bios normal boot priorities I get the Multibeast / TonymacX86 menu and choosing Linux menu option I get a different grub error grub rescue with gpt partitions listed?

Bit of a mess i think. :)

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that, when I first set the RAID up I followed advice on the net to use Marvel instead and originally set it up that way, but changed to Intel because performance under marvel seemed a bit flaky, however that may have been a dodgy SATA lead connection to the mobo, they're crammed in under the graphics card. But followed your advice, set it up again and I'll have another go. I also ensure I do a full format not quick format of the RAID which appears to make a big difference in final read / write performance.

Think I'll end up reinstalling Linux, I have a spare 160GB partition but would prefer to resolve the grub issue, which looking at the bios is confusing, I have a drive choice in bios for 'ubuntu' as an overide, if I boot that I can use set prefix= to /boot/grub, set the root, insmod and get to the typical grub boot OS list, includes Win 10 & Mac, but drive names appears non gpt?, Choosing Ubuntu from the list gets me to a login prompt for a default KXStudio but my password doesn't work, mounting the drive in a Live CD session I can see the username is correct ie: home folder, so thinking it must be an older install with an old password, probably my XUbuntu set up listed in my sig.

If I boot using bios normal boot priorities I get the Multibeast / TonymacX86 menu and choosing Linux menu option I get a different grub error grub rescue with gpt partitions listed?

Bit of a mess i think. :)
Are you booting OS X and Windows UEFI? If yes, remove grub and use the EFI stub in Ubuntu to boot direct from UEFI if your version is capable of doing it. Otherwise, look for a way to boot UEFI Grub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back