i5-4460
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi all,

I've not built a hackintosh since Big Sur but have set up an OpenCore bootloader on an old Dell Inspiron 3000 i5. I want to get something a bit more modern but wondered if buying an off the shelf PC (dell's have been good in the past) and then swapping out a few parts is still a good idea or if I should just start from scratch and buy all the parts from new. If it's the latter, are there any guides which say buy X, Y and Z (with cheap, medium and higher costs) and you're good to go?

I've had a look at the buyers guide and knowing which motherboard to choose, for starters, is a bit of a minefield. All i want to use it as is a PLEX server and to be able to do some photo / video editing on occasion, not that much really.

If the only way, is the hard way, then I'll try to find some time over xmas, to read up

Cheers

TK :)

Nothing wrong with prebuilt PCs. You may even find guides/User Builds for Small Form Factor PCs.
The same hardware constraints as for self-builds apply: Up to Intel 10th gen. (would be second hand by now, and strictly with 400-series chipset for 10th gen.), iGPU is fine. From 11th gen. onwards, including current Intel CPUs, you need a supported AMD GPU (or a free PCI slot to add one). For the sake of simplicity it may be best to avoid Ryzen.

Where are you located and what’s your budget?

Back