Contribute
Register

Exclusive: Intel planning separate Thunderbolt certification for Windows 8 devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
thunderbolt.jpgThunderbolt has as yet to take off as a standard, mostly due to the high cost of not only the peripherals, but also the associated cables that next to no accessory maker supply with their devices. Now we’re hearing about another massive hurdle when it comes to adaptation of the standard, Intel is planning a separate certification program for Windows 8 compatible Thunderbolt devices.

What does this mean? Well, it’s really bad news for consumers, as Intel is willing to go as far as to lock out all current Thunderbolt devices from Windows 8. The manufacturers could re-submit their devices for Windows 8 certification, but it’s not that simple, as Intel is apparently going to force a firmware upgrade that sets a device ID flag which will tell the OS if the device has been certified or not. Our understanding is that so far, there’s no simple way of upgrading the firmware of a Thunderbolt device and it might not even be possible in some instances.

On top of all this, Intel will be enforcing a new Thunderbolt firmware on the motherboard side, which means that older devices with the wrong device ID flag, won’t work on a basic hardware level, as the Thunderbolt equipped motherboards and notebooks will simply ignore the device if it doesn’t have the right device ID. It’s possible that we’ll see some kind of workarounds for this, but we really can’t see the logic of a two tier Thunderbolt ecosystem.

Keep in mind that Intel is enforcing a strict policy of Thunderbolt being a peerless interface and as such refuses to produce any kind of drivers for Thunderbolt. This is part of what appears to be related to the new Windows 8 Thunderbolt certification, as Intel has forced many of the peripheral chipset manufacturers to enable Thunderbolt support in their drivers for say a SATA, USB 3.0 or Ethernet controller so that the device can be hot-swappable.

Apple appears to have taken a different approach by having a simple Thunderbolt driver that recognises Thunderbolt devices as such and takes care of the hot-swap support on an OS level. One additional concern with Intel’s proposed certification program is that we might see a separate program from Apple compatible Thunderbolt device and a possibility of the two not being compatible in the future.

It’s hard to believe that this is the way Intel wants things to progress, but it also shows how immature the Thunderbolt standard is. We’ll keep a close eye on the development with regards to the certification program, but we really think Intel is heading in the wrong direction if they want Thunderbolt to appeal as a high-speed interface for the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Article: Exclusive: Intel planning separate Thunderbolt certification for Windows 8 devices

UD5H it is until this all gets sorted out. Thanks Swede, a very good an informative article friend!

Well, right now it's all kind of up in the air, but if Intel goes through with this, it's potentially really bad news.

Article: Exclusive: Intel planning separate Thunderbolt certification for Windows 8 devices

Well Thunderbolt will probably be following in FireWires footsteps then.

You're probably right!

USB dominates because it's simple, cheap, and ubiquitous. I love the idea of Thunderbolt, but it's currently none of those 3 things! I loved Firewire too...

Fiddle! Guess it's time to try to sell my Thunderbolt display. Was hoping to be able to use it for other then my macbook. Thanks for the info.

Well, I'd just keep an eye on things, as this isn't guaranteed, but it's what Intel is planning according to our sources. Sadly I can't go into any kind of details as to how we obtained this information. Suffice to say is that we trust our sources and Intel is really planning a major cock-up.

As far as Hack's are concerned, this may or may not be an issue, at least not as long as you're not interesting in running Windows 8 or at least not using your TB devices in Windows 8. We'll just have to wait and see how things develop, but it's definitely a huge spanner in the Thunderbolt wheel...

Thunderbolt was doomed to fail right from the start. It's too inaccessible, which is bad news for a data transfer port.
Same goes for FireWire.

USB3.0 is fast enough for the time being anyway. It's a bit annoying it cannot transfer enough power for a monitor or even a harddisk, but the time of manufacturers would be far better spent trying to make a USB3.0 compliant port that also allows great power transfer capabilities, kindof like HiSpeed USB2.0.

I've yet to work out why I should care about thunderbolt. If it's going to a be a closed, restricted standard then I'll avoid it altogether. At this point I can't see myself ever using it, even for my laptop.

Thunderbolt was doomed to fail right from the start. It's too inaccessible, which is bad news for a data transfer port.
Same goes for FireWire.

USB3.0 is fast enough for the time being anyway. It's a bit annoying it cannot transfer enough power for a monitor or even a harddisk, but the time of manufacturers would be far better spent trying to make a USB3.0 compliant port that also allows great power transfer capabilities, kindof like HiSpeed USB2.0.

I guess you'll like this then ;)
http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/
Up to 100W over USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back