Graphics
AMD Radeon 6990
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey There Guys, Im about to take the plunge off the deep end and buy my hackintosh parts, I plan on using my hack for some heavy adobe premier pro and after effects work and I obviously want to take advantage of the NVIDA acceleration in premier and AE. so I wanted to know can the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 provide me with stability, dual monitor, CUDA and of corse QE ect.
Is this a good idea or an idea I'll end up doing this over :bang head: ?

-Olly

It would work, but do not expect it to be stable. I had exactly the same card, ended up replacing it with GTX470.

I just bought a 6870 to replace my 460 768. Some people claim to have had success editing the APGM, but I'd prefer to have to edit the least amount possible. Everything else works OOB for me, so I'm going back to ATI personally. I scored the following deal and I'll probably come out close to even when i sell my 460:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131378

edit: Just saw that you need CUDA... still, with most newer macs coming with ATI cards, I'd imagine Adobe would be migrating towards OpenCL for CS6. Also I'll try to see if I can get the CUDA hardware acceleration working in After Effects... even though I installed the official drivers from Nvidia, it didn't "seem" hardware accelerated to me.

lpranal said:
I just bought a 6870 to replace my 460 768. Some people claim to have had success editing the APGM, but I'd prefer to have to edit the least amount possible. Everything else works OOB for me, so I'm going back to ATI personally. I scored the following deal and I'll probably come out close to even when i sell my 460:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131378

edit: Just saw that you need CUDA... still, with most newer macs coming with ATI cards, I'd imagine Adobe would be migrating towards OpenCL for CS6. Also I'll try to see if I can get the CUDA hardware acceleration working in After Effects... even though I installed the official drivers from Nvidia, it didn't "seem" hardware accelerated to me.
Do you you have H.264 HW acceleration working on 6870? http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=37218 look for VDADecoderCheck.

Not sure about the 6870, just ordered it from new egg this morning (free 3day :headbang: ). Alas, the 460 returns an error when running that test, in fact one of the times I ran it the system froze :( For posterity, I currently have a galaxy GTX 460 768mb

lpranal said:
Not sure about the 6870, just ordered it from new egg this morning (free 3day :headbang: ). Alas, the 460 returns an error when running that test, in fact one of the times I ran it the system froze :( For posterity, I currently have a galaxy GTX 460 768mb
Strange, my EVGA GTX460 1GB was working with H.264. But still locking up machine time-to-time.

thanks for the help guys I'm probably going to buy an XFX Radeon 6870, just to be safe, but in the future when better support comes for these newer 4xx series card I'll defiantly upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back