Contribute
Register

EVGA GeForce GT 740 not working well in El Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if your 740 could be bad? I have a DVI to an older monitor, top res 1600 x 1200, and out to an HDMI (UHD) tv, which can do past 4000 x what ever. The 740 will drive either just fine. No Web drivers needed. If I end up getting a monitor which can have higher res, I can have the same UHD res on both the monitor and UHD TV at the same time. I don't think the 740 puts out different res for the DVI and HDMI at the same time.

I wonder if your 740 could be bad? I have a DVI to an older monitor, top res 1600 x 1200, and out to an HDMI (UHD) tv, which can do past 4000 x what ever. The 740 will drive either just fine. No Web drivers needed. If I end up getting a monitor which can have higher res, I can have the same UHD res on both the monitor and UHD TV at the same time. I don't think the 740 puts out different res for the DVI and HDMI at the same time.

If it is bad, it went bad right as I upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitán. While not outside the realm of possibility, it seems unlikely. I hate to start throwing parts after this problem, but maybe I can borrow one of the NVIDIA cards from my Windows SLI to see if it works better.

Edit: I finally dug up a DVI cable, and with it plugged in to either DVI-D or DVI-I I get a pink screen with bad static and the screen rolling. Either the brand new cable I used is bad, or maybe the card has gone bad after all.

Thanks, I've tried suggestions from that thread without success. According to the chart linked from that post, my 0x0fc8 card should work with or without NVIDIA drivers, with injection off. I just went through the combinations anyway to see if anything helped, and nothing did. With no injection and OS X drivers, OS X thinks it's a 1280x1024 projector, and the screen redraws instead of scrolling. With OS X and injection, it reboots. With NVIDIA web drivers and injection, it reboots. With web drivers and no injection, my monitor is detected as a 1080p TV and it seems to look fine except the resolution is wrong (ie, the screen actually scrolls when I scroll instead of visibly redrawing).

In safe mode, the display is detected at the proper 2560x1440 resolution, but as I mentioned the screen redraws when I scroll and move around. I wish I knew the proper term for that, but that's how it looks. I'm trying everything I can to find the proper combination that allows 2560x1440 and a normal boot. The fact that it detects it fine in safe mode means something is loaded in normal mode that makes the computer think my monitor is a TV. I wish I could figure out what...

Same problem...solution here
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-sierra-coredisplayfixup-1-3-lilu-1-2.233382/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back