Contribute
Register

Eventually but not Immediately receiving "The disk you inserted was not readable..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x79
CPU
Intel i7 4930k
Graphics
GTX 780 3GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone! I've had a pretty successful hackintosh build up to this point. All was running well for about a month. Then suddenly, my 1TB WD hard drive become unrecognized by Yosemite. The message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer..." the options are to Ignore, Initialize, and Eject.

Using terminal and issuing Diskutil list reveals that it sees the drive and the correct capacity, but it thinks that the drive is NTFS. I had it formatted as exFAT before this issue occurred. I then used Testdisk utility (open source i think) to copy all the files off and reformat. That fixed the issue for 2-3 boots but once again the drive seemed to have lost itself and the exact same issue occured.

I eventually concluded that the drive must have been going bad so I sent it back to WD and received a new one. I formatted this one also as exFAT and it has been serving me nicely for about a week. Today the same issue presented itself once again and I am currently taking the files off of it with Testdisk.

At this point I'm assuming this is a software issue. I'd really like a large stable drive on my system so this is really annoying. What's even more annoying is that i have another 250GB WD plugged in to the remaining SATA port formatted as HFS+ that has never done this.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide for this problem. Thank you so much everyone.

Here is my system and the output of the "Diskutil list" command in terminal

Asus Sabertooth x79 motherboard
48GB of RAM
Intel 4930k i7
GTX780
Boot disk is a Kingston SSD now 240GB

Micahs-Mac-Pro:~ SoloFlightProd$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Yosemite 239.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_RAID 249.7 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_RAID 249.7 GB disk2s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk2s3
/dev/disk3
0: Apple_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk3
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS SFPWD250 249.9 GB disk3s3
/dev/disk4
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk4

/dev/disk5
0: Apple_HFS Hackintosh HD *499.4 GB disk5
Micahs-Mac-Pro:~ SoloFlightProd$

exFAT is a file system devised for flash drives and has almost no resilience - The slightest error can result in the loss of your data.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back