Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just got a new custom gaming laptop, and installed (among others) OSX 10.6 on it. It almost worked, but... see below.

Specs:
sandy bridge cpu i7/2670qm (4c/8h, 2.2GHz)
4GB ram
video: Radeon 6970m discrete video with 2GB vram (chipset based on the desktop 6850)
hdd: the one I installed OSX on is a 320GB Toshiba SATA
network: Jmicron GB
wifi: realtek WLAN+bluetooth combo

Things that worked out-of the box:
sound, at least to some extentsome - it's very distorted, but works nonetheless
firewire, USB2 ports, but not the USB3

Not recognized properly: CPU (obviously), video ("unknown ATI 1GB")

The system also wouldn't boot with iBoot, had to use iBoot legacy.

So next I installed Updatehelper, rebooted through iBoot legacy, installed the 10.6.8 combo and multibeast. Rebooted again this time without iBoot legacy.

Problem I have after that, no image on the screen. :( I think otherwise the system booted fine, there is disk activity etc but the screen remains blank. It probably doesn't recognize the video card (though imacs lately come with the 6970 IIRC so that shouldn't be a problem)

What next?

(edit) adding specs from the manufacturer:
chipset HM65
audio Realtek HD (from device manager:HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_15585102&REV_1003)
JMicron PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (dunno chipset model)
Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n COMBO PCI-E NIC
video: 2GB GDDR5; AMD Radeon Mobility HD6970M (BlackcombXT);
http://www.eurocom.com/download/m219.html

Hmm I guess something's really wrong, because:

-I tried booting the new installation with iBoot legacy, it hangs and never finishes

-I tried wiping off the disk and reinstalling, and I can't even do that. The same method that worked before (boot from iBoot legacy, switch with install DVD+F5, boot from DVD) doesn't work anymore - after I switch disks and press F5, trying to boot from the install DVD results in a kernel panic. Something related to ACPI.

Still no luck.

Turns out the kernel panics were probably due to a dirty DVD as they went away after I wiped them off. :)

So I started again from scratch:
-booted iBoot legacy
-switched CDs, F5, boot install DVD
-install vanilla 10.6
-install UpdateHelper, reboot
-use iBoot legacy to get back into the system
-installed combo 10.6.8 and multibeast (only easybeast and system tools), rebooted

Same behavior as before: system goes to the apple logo screen with spinning wheel, then screen turns blank. There is still HDD activity after a while but no image on screen. Had to use the power button to turn it off.

So I wiped it off again and reinstalled once more, this time installing the latest chimera (1.8.0) just after multibeast and before rebooting. No change.

When I try to use iBoot legacy to get into the newly installed system, it goes to the apple logo screen with no spinning wheel, and just hangs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back