MSI H270 PC Mate
CPU
I5 7600
Graphics
Zotac 1060 6GB Mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello guys,

here's what i intend to get in order to have a solid hackintosh + a good windows gaming machine, on a budget :)

MB :
MSI H270M PC MATE

CPU :
CORE i5-7400

MEMORY :
CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 8GB DDR4 2400MHZ

GPU :
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 WINFORCE OC

STORAGE :
WESTERN DIGITAL SSD 240 GB SATA III 6B/S
+
SEAGATE HD BARRACUDA 1TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200 RPM 64 MB BUFFER

POWER SUPPLY :
COOLERMASTER MWE 500 WATT ATX 80 PLUS

What do you guys think ?? This would be my first hackintosh build, would this be a good setup ?
open to suggestions :D
thanks

Last edited:
ok you just named the storage as memory :)
i would go for a better TB/$ ratio hard drive

You are right about the storage, i have changed this.
What do You mean about the hard drive though?

Would this be an easy install of Mac OS X? I would like to have a dual boot system for gaming on Windows..

1 TB for 45 USD means you pay 45 USD per 1 TB
2 TB is for 60 USD means you pay 30 USD per 1 TB
3 TB is for 75 USD means you pay 25 USD per 1 TB
4 TB is for 114 USD means you pay 28,5 USD per 1 TB

so the best priced disk is the 3 TB option - you should go for it
you have chosen the most expensive option even though it is the cheapest actually
install mac os on this setup will be easy
dual boot is a different story, as you will have 2 drives you should install the windows machine on the HDD first while the SSD not being in the PC. then insert the SSD and install MaxOS to the SSD drive. The Clover boot loader will allow you then to choose to boot the windows drive. or buy another SSD for the windows OS

1 TB for 45 USD means you pay 45 USD per 1 TB
2 TB is for 60 USD means you pay 30 USD per 1 TB
3 TB is for 75 USD means you pay 25 USD per 1 TB
4 TB is for 114 USD means you pay 28,5 USD per 1 TB

so the best priced disk is the 3 TB option - you should go for it
you have chosen the most expensive option even though it is the cheapest actually
install mac os on this setup will be easy
dual boot is a different story, as you will have 2 drives you should install the windows machine on the HDD first while the SSD not being in the PC. then insert the SSD and install MaxOS to the SSD drive. The Clover boot loader will allow you then to choose to boot the windows drive. or buy another SSD for the windows OS

Thanks for your advice...
I thought I could install both systems on the same ssd and use the hd just for data.

As long as parts go, is this good choice apart the tb/€ ratio?
If I could save some money on the graphics card I would do it but I chose this one since on the buying list I only saw 1050’s,1060’s and 1080’s... I guess 1050 is not a good choice though

personally think thats not a great build for 800 euros.
i use £ so the price is comparable. problem is not yours but the fact that ram and nand is so expensive, as well as the fact that coffee lake systems are out.

personally i would be looking at nearly new/used parts.
cpu/mobo definitely, you can use z170/h170 'skylake' boards with 6 series cpus eg. i5 6400 for example.
the difference between skylake and kaby lake is less than 5%.

gfx cards, look into the gtx 970. look at reviews and see what kind of perfomance youd get in the games you play and at the resolution youd play at.
on ebay uk, a used 970 goes for roughly the price of a new 1050, but the 970 is around 40% more powerful.

the other alternative is to go coffee lake. an i3 8100 is basically a kaby lake i5 (4 cores, 4 threads). osx compatibility isnt out of box, however people have them working.

in short, i wouldnt be paying retail for a kaby system at this time.

personally think thats not a great build for 800 euros.
i use £ so the price is comparable. problem is not yours but the fact that ram and nand is so expensive, as well as the fact that coffee lake systems are out.

personally i would be looking at nearly new/used parts.
cpu/mobo definitely, you can use z170/h170 'skylake' boards with 6 series cpus eg. i5 6400 for example.
the difference between skylake and kaby lake is less than 5%.

gfx cards, look into the gtx 970. look at reviews and see what kind of perfomance youd get in the games you play and at the resolution youd play at.
on ebay uk, a used 970 goes for roughly the price of a new 1050, but the 970 is around 40% more powerful.

the other alternative is to go coffee lake. an i3 8100 is basically a kaby lake i5 (4 cores, 4 threads). osx compatibility isnt out of box, however people have them working.

in short, i wouldnt be paying retail for a kaby system at this time.
Thank you samisnake,
In fact I have been recommended to get ryzen 5 instead, any oppinion if it’ll work fine for hackintosh?

no way to go with a ryzen for a hackintosh. forget about it.
I have seen videos about hackintoshes running on ryzen 5’s, why do you say : “no way”? Just trying to understand :banghead:

I have seen videos about hackintoshes running on ryzen 5’s, why do you say : “no way”? Just trying to understand :banghead:
The Rules said:
AMD nor Atom CPUs and NVIDIA, ATI, VIA or SIS desktop chipsets are not supported by the methods and software on this site and will not work. Any post requesting help for or asking about these will be deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back