Contribute
Register

Ethernet Card No Longer Visible or Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD7 TH
CPU
Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz)
Graphics
GeForce GT 740 Superclocked Dual Slot 2GB DDR3
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I recently made the trek to El Capitan from Yosemite and, after an intense amount of effort, had a functioning El Capitan build running with the AppleIntelE1000e v3.2.4.2 driver installed via Clover.

At first I was not able to log into the App Store because my ethernet card was not visible or loading. So I
followed instructions on various forum posts to delete items in Networking, apply changes, delete the network file from /library/preferences/system configuration/ and then reboot. That worked and my ethernet card reappeared and I was able to get back into the App Store.

However I then had to change my system definition for an unrelated reason, and the card again disappeared. I changed the definition back to MacPro 3,1 and re-executed the steps above to re-establish the internal ethernet card as en0. However, after many attempts, I have not been able to see the ethernet card in the Network devices panel.

I have tried all of the drivers listed within Clover, and the RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_0_90 driver, but nothing has worked. I am able to see all of the other devices in the Networking panel, but just not the ethernet card.

The ethernet is an internal Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) on a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH mother board. This build is straight out of the Tonymac customac specs --nothing exotic at all.

System Report shows the following: This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed.

I've check BIOS and it indicates that the LAN card has a MAC address, etc. So it appears to be fine from a hardware standpoint.

I'm not sure where to go on this next, but any help would greatly, greatly be appreciated.

Thank You
Marc

Hi, I recently made the trek to El Capitan from Yosemite and, after an intense amount of effort, had a functioning El Capitan build running with the AppleIntelE1000e v3.2.4.2 driver installed via Clover.

At first I was not able to log into the App Store because my ethernet card was not visible or loading. So I
followed instructions on various forum posts to delete items in Networking, apply changes, delete the network file from /library/preferences/system configuration/ and then reboot. That worked and my ethernet card reappeared and I was able to get back into the App Store.

However I then had to change my system definition for an unrelated reason, and the card again disappeared. I changed the definition back to MacPro 3,1 and re-executed the steps above to re-establish the internal ethernet card as en0. However, after many attempts, I have not been able to see the ethernet card in the Network devices panel.

I have tried all of the drivers listed within Clover, and the RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_0_90 driver, but nothing has worked. I am able to see all of the other devices in the Networking panel, but just not the ethernet card.

The ethernet is an internal Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) on a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH mother board. This build is straight out of the Tonymac customac specs --nothing exotic at all.

System Report shows the following: This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed.

I've check BIOS and it indicates that the LAN card has a MAC address, etc. So it appears to be fine from a hardware standpoint.

I'm not sure where to go on this next, but any help would greatly, greatly be appreciated.

Thank You
Marc

Try the IntelMausiEthernet.kext

Unfortunately that didn't work. What else might I try?

Thanks,
Marc

Would it make sense to remove the WIFI board and go through the process again? Is it possible that the WIFI board is somehow interfering with the ethernet detection? I had it working fine under Yosemite, so not sure if something has changed in El Capitan.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Marc

I just recently found out I have the same issue. iMessage stopped working so I checked my to see if my Ethernet card was en0 and to my surprise it showed that I didn't have a ethernet card. I checked under network settings and it told me that the ethernet cable was unplugged. I don't even know when this occurred because my Wi-Fi card took over.

I had OS X El Capitan installed on an old HDD that I was not using, and Ethernet works fine on that instal. I really don't feel like reinstalling just to get the ethernet working so if you find out how to fix it let me know.

I just got it to work literally 5 minuets after my last post.

The first thing I wanted was to get the ethernet card to show up, so I went to my working instal on my old HDD. I copied the NetworkInterface.plist and Preferences.plist to flash drive, then went on my main instal on my SSD and pasted them back in. After a restart the ethernet card showed in network settings, but it showed it as being unplugged.

Next I downloaded a program called Kext Wizard, then used that program to instal the ethernet kext to S/L/E. After the restart, ethernet showed up as connected.

I still don't know why ethernet kext was not starting up while being in the kext folder for clover.

You might be able to get away with just doing step 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back