ATI X1900XT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Apologize for the newbie-ness of this question, did a search that didn't turn much up. I'm contemplating a build based on a Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H motherboard. Will a cheap rear-panel eSATA bracket like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-eSATA-Bracket-Motherboard-Cables/dp/B000HZM1YG

...plugged into any of the regular SATA ports on the motherboard allow me to use eSATA devices without special drivers or BIOS tweaks? Or is it more involved? Am I better off using USB3 for high datarate external mass storage?

Thanks,
--Geoff

Yes I have been doing that for ages on a Gigabyte G41 ES2L

It's just a mechanical adapter, so it should work.

Thanks guys, for $3.75 I think it's certainly worth a try... will report back once I do my build next month.

Thanks,
--Geoff

Did you get this to work? I ordered an eSata bracket the other day assuming it would just work since it was just a mechanical adapter. I found an old one in a box from one of my previous motherboards and I tried it yesterday and it didn't seem to work. I have a 4 bay external enclosure that I was going to connect via eSata. It would power on, sit for a second, and then power off. It works via USB 2.

I have done about five hackintoshes and many different versions of OS X.
The esata always works.

The only thing that changed somewhere along the line was it stopped being hot swappable.
You have to have esata plugged in and running before boot.

USB it does not matter.

If you have USB 3 try that as it is almost as fast as SATA III.

On some boards not all SATA ports work with same driver. Ports may be from different manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back