Contribute
Register

eRz's Build: i5-4430 - GA-H87N-WIFI - 16Gb RAM - 760 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I have the Z version of this board.

How did wifi anf HDMI audio worked out of the box? if not what did you do?

Thank you

Hi i'm back after some months of use... Everything is running fine... Also added another ssd and switched to a new monitor. The only two problems i have :

- Since August iMessage doesn't work anymore (read about the thread but it doesnt fix the problem, will maybe go for a fresh install)
- Two front usb 3.0 are not recognized. Dunno why, i need to investigate.

But everything is merely fine.

Hello

Planning a build with GA-something 87N, 16 GB RAM and a beefy GeForce.

I wonder if you could also fit this 92 mm tower heatsink into it:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=32&lng=en

At least it is indicated in the compatibility list as being compatible.

I plan to have a Bitfenix Prodigy case, white, with lots of non-Microsoft windows.

Hello

Planning a build with GA-something 87N, 16 GB RAM and a beefy GeForce.

I wonder if you could also fit this 92 mm tower heatsink into it:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=32&lng=en

At least it is indicated in the compatibility list as being compatible.

I plan to have a Bitfenix Prodigy case, white, with lots of non-Microsoft windows.

Yes, it should fit on the motherboard and in the bitfenix. you just have to take care about heatsink interfering with the ram.

I'm glad I came across this post. I'm planning to build something really similar to this (same processor, same Motherboard and same amount of RAM), and I want to ask you some questions. I'm a noob at this and I've been reading information to know exactly what to get for what I need. The difference is that I don't want it to play games I want it for music production and audio editing, I do this things in my Macbook Pro 13" Early-2011, and the CPU just doesn't work as it used to, but I'm kind of in a budget to buy a new one and I want to build my first CustoMac and I want it to be specific to my needs. I'm not using external equipment to record anything, I make everything from digital stuff in my computer. I just use headphones or external monitors via the built-in audio output.

Here are my questions (this might not be the best post to ask this, but I'd like to know it from someone who has a similar configuration):

1) Does the brand of the RAM and Power Supply really matter? Or could I use any other brand as long as it has the same specs recommended in the buyer's guide? (I've been looking everywhere for a clear answer to this and I've had no luck).

2) (This might seem like a stupid question but I can't find the exact answer) I plan to connect a monitor via HDMI, or a TV. Do I need a graphic card? Cause my first thought was "since I'm not gonna play games nor edit video, maybe I don't need one". And, does the HDMI outputs work well?

3) How does the audio work? I mean, is it choppy, or buggy or something like that? And, does the audio input and output work well? I just want to know if it works perfectly so I don't have problems with that because it's mostly what I need.

And I think that's all! Thanks for this guide, helps me a lot :)

Not the OP, but I have a similar build and can answer your questions.

1) As long as the RAM meets the MB's specifications, it will work. I know from my build and others that Crucial Ballistix RAM does the job, so I recommend sticking with that. For the power supply - generally, most power supplies will work, but you want to get one that will support your hardware and leaves you some headroom in terms of power consumption. I chose this power supply for those reasons, and for the reasonable cost: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SDR4/

2) Intel Haswell processors support on-board graphics. A dedicated graphics card is not required. HDMI works perfectly for me for video. I have not tested HDMI sound, because it isn't something that I use.

3) My audio works well from the front and rear line-outs. You just have to remember to choose your output source in System Preferences-Sound.

One thing you didn't ask - AirPlay works perfectly for me, even using the Mac Pro 3,1 system definition. Apparently people have had issues with this, but both sound and video work fine going to my AppleTV.

PSU's for Haswell system need to state that they are Haswell certified or ready. I use/like Corsair or Seasonic PSU as they've not let me down. kharmajavah's advice on memory is "spot on."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back