Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's NUCiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on the two iMacs sleep.

iMac # 1 - sleep/wake works, BT & WiFi reconnects great

iMac # 2 - sleeps only. Rewakes to black screen with no image. In addition to previous posts, I've swapped out the RAM, mSATA SSD, HDMI cable. Disconnected BT & WiFi. No luck. I'm really out of ideas as to what to try next.

Identical hardware & software yet one machine does not rewake, not even using swapped hardware that sleeps perfect in other systems. This ones got me stumped. :banghead:

Ersterhernd

I had similar issues here:

-G5: Netwotk did not work anymore
-G4 Cube: rewake did not work anymore

After a CMOS reset (with the jumper on the MOBO) and restoring the BIOS settings everything worked again.

MacTester

Thanks Mactester that's a great idea. Will do it tonight. On another note, I was resetting the iMac several times last night from its locked black screen state and all of a sudden the backlights stopped working. Dark, right from power up. It turned out that the picaxe chip had locked or something, so no voltage was getting to the green inverter wire.

I re-flashed the chip with the software and all is good again. Probably a prudent idea to leave the picaxe chips easily accessible in case of a required re-flash.

Ersterhernd

I had similar issues here:

-G5: Netwotk did not work anymore
-G4 Cube: rewake did not work anymore

After a CMOS reset (with the jumper on the MOBO) and restoring the BIOS settings everything worked again.

MacTester

Reset the CMOS using the yellow jumper on the NUC, no difference, still locks a black screen on wake from sleep. This one is certainly a head-scratcher...

Ersterhernd

Reset the CMOS using the yellow jumper on the NUC, no difference, still locks a black screen on wake from sleep. This one is certainly a head-scratcher...

Ersterhernd

Hmm... Maybe the NUC was damaged during your accident with the PicoPSU?? You could interchange the NUCs to find out, if the problem is related to the screen or the NUC. Have you tried an external monitor? Is the VEDID wiring exactly the same in both units?

I have no idea...:(

Good luck

MacTester

Anyone considering modding an iMac G4 needs to know about this... "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser".

I just cleaned both my iMac G4's with it. Took about 1/2 hour. They are now brilliant white! I used a sharp kitchen knife to cut the magic eraser brick into 1/2" strips. They cut cleanly into the smaller pieces. Dip each piece in clean water and squeeze all the excess moisture out. Lightly rubbing the white surface of the dome and backside of the screen yields a beautiful white result. Rinse the magic eraser regularly of the dirt that builds up in it.

This product is AMAZING. Cleaned my 2 iMac G4's up to new condition.

http://www.mrclean.ca/en_CA/magic-eraser.do

EDIT: I later discovered that this product did such a good job of removing dirt off the dome that my touch-sensors are now set too sensitive. Have to open the iMac up and increase the proximity tolerance! WOW! :eek:

Ersterhernd

Anyone considering modding an iMac G4 needs to know about this... "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser".

I've used a similar product: The "Fleckenradierer" the result was perfect. :thumbup:

This is a refined version of the Brightness Control Software for the Picaxe 08M2 controller. Provides a very smooth and responsive feel for the touch sensors.

Ersterhernd

Attachments

• iMacG4BrightnessControlFinal.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 113
I've got some great news! Sleep/Rewake finally works on both my iMac G4's. The latest 10.8.5 combo update fixed the rewake freeze issue on iMac # 2. Fully functional now as it sits. Going to install the second picaxe micro-controller now to pulse the LED during sleep. Very happy about this, I worked on it for many hours... :D

The combo update required a re-patch of AICPUPM kext, it kernel panicked immediately upon the first reboot. Hint: ALWAYS do a SuperDuper or CCC cloned backup prior to any update, it saved me this time. I had to re-enable trimenabler and restart then too. Thats it!

Thanks Apple!

Ersterhernd

I've got some great news! Sleep/Rewake finally works on both my iMac G4's. The latest 10.8.5 combo update fixed the rewake freeze issue on iMac # 2. Fully functional now as it sits. Going to install the second picaxe micro-controller now to pulse the LED during sleep. Very happy about this, I worked on it for many hours...

Good to here! I've updated the Hemi too. Works flawless, but I had to update the USB 3 kext (GenericUSBXHCI.kext) to v. 1.2.5.

Can't wait to see your sleep LED working. I think, that I will implement a third Picaxe to PWM control the case fan in accordance with the case temperature. A first first try with an old Intel CPU fan worked well.

MacTester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back