Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I cannot figure out what I need to do here. I'm running Monterey using Clover as the bootloader and I'm trying to get the onboard graphics to work. I can't get the computer to boot with the IGFX set to auto or enabled in the BIOS. It has to be disabled or the machine hangs at the apple loading screen. I have a disabled NVIDIA 1070 in one slot for the Windows side, and the Mac side is plugged into the 710 and will boot with that, but as we all know, that's no longer supported, thus why I want to switch. I can't even begin to program the IGFX in Clover because it won't boot with it enabled at all, so Hackintool won't even show it. I've been at this off and on since I built the computer back in 2018 and I've never had success, and I've gone through everything online I can find. I've finally decided to throw in the towel and ask for help. My apologies if this post is completely disjointed; I'm at my wit's end and my brain is fried. Thank you.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 165
Try this revised config.plist. It contains the Framebuffer settings for a Kaby Lake HD 630 IGPU, when it is used to drive a display.

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 00.27.07.png

Obviously you need to add your SMBIOS data back in to the config before you use it. I would recommend copying your Clover EFI to the EFI partition on a spare USB drive, formatted as HFS+ and booting from that to see if it works.

These are the bios settings you need for use when just using the IGPU.
Intel iGPU:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  3. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
These are the settings you need to enable when using the IGPU + dGPU.
Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 350
Try this revised config.plist. It contains the Framebuffer settings for a Kaby Lake HD 630 IGPU, when it is used to drive a display.

View attachment 550217

Obviously you need to add your SMBIOS data back in to the config before you use it. I would recommend copying your Clover EFI to the EFI partition on a spare USB drive, formatted as HFS+ and booting from that to see if it works.

These are the bios settings you need for use when just using the IGPU.
Intel iGPU:
  2. Graphics: IGD/Integrated/iGPU/CPU Graphics
  3. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
These are the settings you need to enable when using the IGPU + dGPU.
Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Thank you!! This is tremendous progress, I owe you one.

It boots with the iGPU enabled now, and Hackintool sees the iGPU, however, I end up with a blank screen if I have the HDMI cable plugged into the motherboard. It has to be plugged into the 710 for it to show me the login screen. I haven't removed the card yet since I consider this still in the "testing" phase. In addition, I don't have acceleration. Same reason? I've been reluctant to unplug the card from the board since prior to your wonderful edit of my config I'd just have to keep plugging it back in.

I end up with a blank screen if I have the HDMI cable plugged into the motherboard.
Hi, from @Edhawk's modification of your config, I added routing, try and see if it works for you.

Attachments

• config.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 176
Hi, from @Edhawk's modification of your config, I added routing, try and see if it works for you.
Hello, and thank you for helping!

Unfortunately, that didn’t fix it.

I'll explain what's happening more clearly. For reference: I'm using an iMac18,3 definition. There's a 1070 GPU in the 1 slot that's used for the Windows side of the build and is disabled on the Mac side. The 710 GPU is in the 2nd slot.

If the HDMI cable is plugged into the 710, the Mac boots, I can log in, it sees the HD630 iGPU, but it doesn't use it and there's no acceleration.

If the HDMI cable is plugged into the motherboard, the Mac boots, verbose mode runs up until it's supposed to show me the apple with the progress bar and then the login screen. At that point, the screen goes black, the monitor reports that it's lost the HDMI signal, and you can wait around and it never gets it back. At this point, if you turn the computer off and then back on with the cable plugged into the 710, when you log in the Mac will report that the computer was shut down incorrectly, so I know it's booting up and loading Monterey, I just lose the signal and I have no idea what to do to get that to stop happening. This happens regardless of whether or not the 710 is installed in the machine.

I played around with system definitions on the USB stick but that didn't make a difference. Granted, I don't know which one I'd change it to. The 18,3 matched my CPU perfectly when I built the computer so I used that and I've had no issues. Add on to that I built the computer five years ago, and my memory is very fuzzy as to how I initially set it up.

EDIT: And a little more digging shows the following in Hackintool. The properties for the 710 are new and were not there before. Is it confused and trying to accelerate that instead of the 630?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 2.15.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 2.15.47 PM.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
You have to bite the bullet and remove the Nvidia card. Just boot with the IGPU.

Make sure your bios is set to only use the IGPU to drive a display, while troubleshooting.

Then tell us what is happening and we can move on from that point.
  • Revert back to the config.plist I edited.
  • Try both the DVI and HDMI display connectors.
  • Don't use any adapters.

You have to bite the bullet and remove the Nvidia card. Just boot with the IGPU.

Make sure your bios is set to only use the IGPU to drive a display, while troubleshooting.

Then tell us what is happening and we can move on from that point.
  • Revert back to the config.plist I edited.
  • Try both the DVI and HDMI display connectors.
  • Don't use any adapters.
Okay. Reverted back, double-checked bios. Removed BOTH cards, just in case the one that the Mac side isn’t supposed to see is interfering.

Tested with HDMI cable, no adapters. Unfortunately I have nothing capable of testing the DVI connector. My monitor is only HDMI, Displayport, and VGA. I never expected to need the DVI so I didn't bother getting one that had it. I figured I'd only need HDMI and I’d be good.

The computer boots through verbose. Then the monitor goes black, I get the 'no signal' box on screen indicating that there is no HDMI connection, and then the monitor's status light goes orange as it does when it has no signal.

Upon reinstalling the graphics card and rebooting, Monterey tells me that I shut down my computer because of a problem and asks if I would like to report it, to which I answer no and return to the OS.

To be more specific: once I reinstall the graphics card, the HDMI cable is plugged into it, not the motherboard.

Last edited:
@HMarner you're just be needing agdpmod=vit9696 probably

Explanation of the two very similar agdpmod boot args:

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 13.04.11.png

So agdpmod=vit9696 may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back