Contribute
Register

Enabling full resolution on GEForce GT 240?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've recently assembled my i7 Hackintosh for use as a music workstation, and so far, my only issue has been the display: I'm limited to 1024x768 screen resolution via the DVI port on my graphics card. I'm using an ECS Elitegroup GEForce GT 240. I've installed- or believe I've installed, at any rate- the current NVIDIA drivers from the current MultiBeast.

The rest of the system seems to be running quite fine; Firewire for my audio and all my USB ports work properly. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running a quad i7-870 2.93 on a Gigabyte H55M-UD2H mobo. Samsung 1TB drive and 8 GB Corsair RAM.

I'd also like to add that it's a 512 DDR5 card. System profiler sees it as a generic NVIDIA card with only 32MB of RAM.

Hey, I'm also using a GT240 on an Intel DG33T mobo.

If you boot using the iboot CD, and install OSX 10.6.3 SL DVD, you'll automatically have 1920x1024 resolution! (and all resolutions smaller than that) on your GT240.

Also, OSX will identify your card correctly. See screenshot.

No need to install Display Kexts in Multibeast.

Just leave the Display part blank when running Multibeast!

** Before I found this out, my earlier installs (where I followed the guide from some other website) will leave me with a half-working Hackintosh, and only 1024x768 resolution on this card. I say forget that!... and just tried to do it "my way." I figured, if OSX 10.6.3 identifies my card as a GT240, there's no need for me to install any display kexts.

PPS: I also upgraded from 10.6.3 to 10.6.7 and it still says GT240.

PPS2: QE/CI also works! DVD Player, Chess, Dashboard, Front Row all works!

I ran through Tony's install procedure and everything worked like a charm save for the graphics. I wound up installing nvenabler.kext through KextBeast and all is right with the world. I'm at 1440x900 resolution- the same as my MacBook Pro, which is acceptable- on my borrowed monitor (planning on replacing the thing with a TV to have massive edit windows in Logic) and so far, so good.

It may be a quirk of this particular card that I needed the kext installed, but for the time being, I won't argue... at least until HDMI comes into play. :?

It's also significantly cooler than my MBP... given the power of the system, it's slightly hilarious. The case for the Hackintosh, which has decided it's a Mac Pro, is cooler than room temperature. Granted, given its intended application, I put it in a 4 rackspace server case, and there's eight fans going at the moment. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back