Graphics
XFX HD6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I read this on Lifehacker, so credits go to them.

Basically, what you need to do is:
- Download TRIM Enabler
- Run it
- Might be smart to back up first, so click that button and it will back up the kernel extension to any folder you want
- Click "Patch" and restart
- Check System Profiler if TRIM Support = Yes
Done!

If you can't boot after restart, boot into safe mode(-x at Chameleon/Chimera screen), open TRIM enabler again and click "Restore".

It worked for me immediately!

Source: Lifehacker

thanks for info

cowfodder said:
Keep in mind that trim may not be necessary on sandforce SSDs.
True, Sandforce Controllers do their own "Garbage Collection", but its not always as effective as TRIM, or SandForce Garbage Collection + TRIM together.

Implied said:
cowfodder said:
Keep in mind that trim may not be necessary on sandforce SSDs.
True, Sandforce Controllers do their own "Garbage Collection", but its not always as effective as TRIM, or SandForce Garbage Collection + TRIM together.
Also true, which is why I said may not. There have been some reports of issues with OSX trim and sandforce drives.

Never heard :O I've read about a few rare cases where the TRIM isn't enabled, but seems isolated cases. Apart from that, nothing. Any models Specifically, and what happened?

Implied said:
Never heard :O I've read about a few rare cases where the TRIM isn't enabled, but seems isolated cases. Apart from that, nothing. Any models Specifically, and what happened?

Mostly something that I had glossed over in a few places. Going back and doing a little more reading it looks like it may have been Win7 only. That's what I get for repeating something without doing a little digging first.

Thanks for this will give this a shot tonight.....only stumbled across the TRIM support NO in the system info after getting 1900x1200 working :)

psyolent said:
Thanks for this will give this a shot tonight.....only stumbled across the TRIM support NO in the system info after getting 1900x1200 working :)

I would not recommend this unless it has been updated for Lion... otherwise you're mixing 10.6 modded kexts with OS X 10.7.

I used this method and it worked great, as an alternative...

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/how-to- ... os-x-lion/

mwparrish --> I'm 10.6.8 mate - so all good. Not running Lion on my Hack - my 17" MBP though runs Lion.

Either way I patched it to enable TRIM Support and now reports as 'Yes' - still appears AOK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back