HD3000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Edit:

I leave this here to show I am not afraid of showing myself up to be an idiot, and leave it so others that follow may not make the same stupid mistake.

Problem solved by booting with the monitor connected :oops:

Doh !!

So I followed the guide and it the system works fine.

But the other day I wanted to video edit and decided to use the second monitor option on FCP X would be nice.

So I plug in the second monitor and ....nothing it does not appear in the Sys prefs. I did not actually expect it to be that easy, so not worried about that.

I have scanned the guide again just now and can't see anythgin about the second monitor port .

I have googled around a bit and not found more than the fact that it is possible, and i should try and force a scan for the second monitor.

AM takgin a stab that a different or modified feel somewhere DSDT may be needed. But I don't want to bugger up a workman system with random tinkering on my own, till I ask the question here.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

It is the standard Core i5 4530s with the original screen and HD3000

what else do you need me to tell you in order to get some help on this.

Regards

NP

Last edited:
But the other day I wanted to video edit and decided to use the second monitor option on FCP X would be nice.

So I plug in the second monitor and ....nothing it does not appear in the Sys prefs. I did not actually expect it to be that easy, so not worried about that.

How is your second monitor connected?

How is your second monitor connected?

I had not even considered that there maybe more than one way.

just plugged in direct to the VGA port on the LH side.

But I did go back and edit my original post. I guess you maybe replied as i was editing.

I slved it by the age old method , of leaving it plugged in and doing a re boot, where ti then detected it immediately.

Me beign a prat and posting before I tried anytgn else....well i was scared to do any config changes and destroy my working system. I have done that in the past, too so di not want it to happen again.

thanks for takign the time to reply. Not many tech people liek you , prepared to help the newbie idiots!

regards

I had not even considered that there maybe more than one way.

just plugged in direct to the VGA port on the LH side.

But I did go back and edit my original post. I guess you maybe replied as i was editing.

I slved it by the age old method , of leaving it plugged in and doing a re boot, where ti then detected it immediately.

Me beign a prat and posting before I tried anytgn else....well i was scared to do any config changes and destroy my working system. I have done that in the past, too so di not want it to happen again.

thanks for takign the time to reply. Not many tech people liek you , prepared to help the newbie idiots!

regards

With VGA you have to use "Detect Displays" from SysPrefs->Displays (the button shows with Option held down).

With VGA you have to use "Detect Displays" from SysPrefs->Displays (the button shows with Option held down).

Ah yes, the Option Key .
I'd seen advice on this forum about having to 'Detect Display' , I said as much in para 8 of my initial question. I looked but did not see it. The Option Key never occurred to me .
Apple have been removing so much useful functionality recently, like the iSync app, the ability of iTunes to sync mail account info, etc etc, that I imstantly thought that it was something else Apple had removed from thd OS.

Ah yes, the Option Key .
I'd seen advice on this forum about having to 'Detect Display' , I said as much in para 8 of my initial question. I looked but did not see it. The Option Key never occurred to me .
Apple have been removing so much useful functionality recently, like the iSync app, the ability of iTunes to sync mail account info, etc etc, that I imstantly thought that it was something else Apple had removed from thd OS.

Yes, both Microsoft and Apple are doing dumb things here... hiding options so they are more difficult to discover. They need to go back to UI design school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back