Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-WS
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1060
So, I have hot plugging enabled in my BIOS for the SATA port that I want to use for hotswapping/hotplugging, but when I boot up into OS X/macOS and turn on the drive while plugged into the hotplug/hotswap port, in System Profiler under SATA/SATA Express, it says the device is not a removable drive and not removable media.

So... it seems like there's an additional step I need to take for OS X/macOS to understand hotplugging/hotswapping? If so, what do I need to do?

So, I have hot plugging enabled in my BIOS for the SATA port that I want to use for hotswapping/hotplugging, but when I boot up into OS X/macOS and turn on the drive while plugged into the hotplug/hotswap port, in System Profiler under SATA/SATA Express, it says the device is not a removable drive and not removable media.

So... it seems like there's an additional step I need to take for OS X/macOS to understand hotplugging/hotswapping? If so, what do I need to do?

This is not entirely true, I have had hot swap work since Yosemite. The problem I am now faced with is that under High Sierra, hot swapping doesn't seem to be working on my Z87N WIFI. I yet to test my Z170N GAMING 5, however.

So I know from past experience Hot swapping is possible. Just a matter of finding the right patch.

I'll keep you posted to see how I go. I'm trying to rebuild my DSDT.aml file, that might have something to do with it. I've avoided editing my DSDT since Yosemite, preferring Clover to inject my the DSDT patches. But it looks like I'm gonna have to get close to the metal on this one.

I'm not sure how you have your system setup, but I've recently stumbled upon a KextToPatch fix for SATA Hotplugging by patching the AppleAHCIPort.kext.

Obviously use either a plist editor, or Clover Configurator to insert the patch....

Enjoy.

**link**
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...sierra-final-release-is-out-17a365/?p=2504591
**link**
credit: sunki

I'm not sure how you have your system setup, but I've recently stumbled upon a KextToPatch fix for SATA Hotplugging by patching the AppleAHCIPort.kext.

Obviously use either a plist editor, or Clover Configurator to insert the patch....

Enjoy.

**link**
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...sierra-final-release-is-out-17a365/?p=2504591
**link**
credit: sunki
In reference to my last post, I’ve done some testing with hotswapping with my other drives with this patch. I can safely say that this issue is to do with the update to AppleAHCIPort.kext v329.

While most of my SATA HDD and SSDs can now be hotswapped, the same cannot be said for my SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB. This is the one drive in my collection that is getting IO/ hotswapping errors when the above patch is added to my config.plist.

Whats worst is if I plug an incompatible ssd/hdd, my system locks up with the spinning beach ball. Otherwise, most of my drives don’t have these issues, including my old horsehourse OCZ Vertex 4’s.

As much as I would like the hot plug functionaity, I am going to hold off on using this patch from Sunki. I value stability and keeping my system as vanilla as possible. If it means no hotplug vs stability, i’d stick with that.

P.S. I’ve also read a few more solutions to this problem that are less than elegant, including downgrading the AppleAHCIPort.kext to v328, renaming info.plist. I wouldn’t use these fixes as they involve S/L/E kext installtion and editing. S/L/E hacks often broken after updates.

I did some testing... eh... Eh... kind of?...

Anyway, I found out that if hotswap is not enabled for the port in the BIOS, then the drive just will flat out not show up once you plug in/turn on the drive plugged into that port once booted into macOS. So from this, simply having hot swap enabled for the port/ports in the BIOS is good enough for me. Unmounting the drive as a way of "ejecting" it seems to work fine as well.

I can't really test this against a Mac Pro since I don't have one and I haven't seen one with hotswapping for those ports. I just assume from this that it's fine.

Hi
I have the same problem with Mojave
Has anybody found a solution to this problem
I cannot hot swap even with an esata ASMEDIA PCIE card
Hope there is solution to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back