Contribute
Register

Enable C States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this true even when using a DSDT?

MacMan said:
Yes, this is recommended for almost every motherboard.

For your motherboard adding it will enable SpeedStep and bring CPU temperatures down.

Is this true even with:
Code:
Customizing SystemID with : 40ea001f-c600-0010-41fd-f46d0421b8f7
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 31771 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
FADT: Restart Fix applied!
FADT: Using custom DSDT!
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!

CrispyXUK said:
Is this true even when using a DSDT?
Yes it is.

mcbyte_it said:
MacMan said:
Yes, this is recommended for almost every motherboard.

For your motherboard adding it will enable SpeedStep and bring CPU temperatures down.

Is this true even with:
Code:
Customizing SystemID with : 40ea001f-c600-0010-41fd-f46d0421b8f7
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 31771 bytes.
ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml
Well if I am not completely wrong, Speedstep requires ACPI do be enabled in Bios. Actually, what this text of yours is saying is that your CPU does not support ACPI?? :eek:

Honestly saying I also have no idea if you need to alter something in a DSDT to activate ACPI in OSX, so dunno...

eranno said:
I'm using GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, and added enablecstates + enablepstates

is it enough, or I need to add the specific c2, c3 etc. and described?

shibirian said:
Each Intel CPU runs with a multiplier, for example, my Q6600 has a max. multiplier of 9, so 9x333 = 3Ghz.

Minimum multiplier is 6.

So with Speedstep enabled when the CPU idles the minimum multiplier is applied, so 6x333 = 2Ghz.

This saves energy and heat...overclockers don't like that much, because it gets in their way of reaching total-uber-clocks.

All in all, if you value your energy bill it is a good idea to enable it (also cools down your system a bit). ;)

But how is adding these three extra steps different than just enablingcstates? The consensus seems to be that there's no harm, but is there an added benefit over the simple "EnableCStates=yes"?

shibirian said:
Well if I am not completely wrong, Speedstep requires ACPI do be enabled in Bios. Actually, what this text of yours is saying is that your CPU does not support ACPI?? :eek:

Honestly saying I also have no idea if you need to alter something in a DSDT to activate ACPI in OSX, so dunno...

My problem could be that my DSDT doesn't have the _PR scope, no processors define there :(
I tried adding them manually, but without a correct SSDT I was never able to generate C & P states, in a couple of occasions the computer rebooted immediately after loading the ssdt...

mcbyte_it said:
shibirian said:

My problem could be that my DSDT doesn't have the _PR scope, no processors define there :(
I tried adding them manually, but without a correct SSDT I was never able to generate C & P states, in a couple of occasions the computer rebooted immediately after loading the ssdt...

You've tried this guide here? http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35559

A nice build also from this guy here :D
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=38138&p=240652&hilit=P8P67+Pro#p240652
He does not mention if he was able to add C States, lo. -.-

shibirian said:
You've tried this guide here? http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35559

A nice build also from this guy here :D
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=38138&p=240652&hilit=P8P67+Pro#p240652
He does not mention if he was able to add C States, lo. -.-

Yes I did, first I was using others DSDT's, but then I started reading and did my own, but it seems the motherboard doesn't have this info: the extracted DSDT does not have the correct scope. I even tried with RWEverything tool, extracted all ACPI tables, but no way of having them working :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back