Contribute
Register

El Captain not booting ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't mean the command didn't run, it just means it ran and found a couple of files that have the wrong ownership and need to be corrected; that's what repair_packages is supposed to do. As for the kext that couldn't be loaded, I think that's something resulting from your original attempt to change permissions on root (why again did you do that?). At this point, since it's apparent repair_packages can't repair all the damage, I believe your best option is to do a clean install of macOS.

The reason ~ I was getting many authorization prompts when trying to move files from external drives to local (not system files) normal files from place to place. When wanting to create a folders.

Clean install of OS
I need to get my hands on the OS El Captian to build a USB, I do have Serria. Which OS would you say is most solid? I running music software Logic, Pro Tools, Live etc. I have a friend helping me and he doesn't live close. So, it's time for me to step up. Any great links and instructions to help would be great. Excuse my grammar and spelling. thx

The reason ~ I was getting many authorization prompts when trying to move files from external drives to local (not system files) normal files from place to place. When wanting to create a folders.

Clean install of OS
I need to get my hands on the OS El Captian to build a USB, I do have Serria. Which OS would you say is most solid? I running music software Logic, Pro Tools, Live etc. I have a friend helping me and he doesn't live close. So, it's time for me to step up. Any great links and instructions to help would be great. Excuse my grammar and spelling. thx

I don't know what works best with the software you're running, but Sierra is pretty well established at this point. You'll need access to another hack or Mac to download Sierra from the Mac App Store and create your Unibeast USB installer. All the instructions you need are in the Installation Guide, though it would also be a good idea to search through User Builds for similar successful builds using your motherboard and other hardware; you might pick up some tips there as well.

Can I do a clean install of the MacOS without erasing other content on the root drive?

Can I do a clean install of the MacOS without erasing other content on the root drive?

That's generally not advised, but in your particular case I think it may be worth a try. It would be best if you had a way to backup the drive first, but I realize that probably isn't possible.

I am trying to figure out how to update my OS to Sierra without erasing what on the root drive as a first resort.
Is there a way that I can update to Sierra from El Captain if my computer doesn't both up (safe mode, using the bootloader?). Lastly is there a option in the install process of the MacOS (Sierra) to just update the OS instead of a total clean install?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back