i7 6700K
Graphics
GeForce GTX 1050
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am new to the Hackintosh, I am running El Captain: I tried to change the permission on the root drive and apply it to all enclosed items. Now my computer will only boot to the White apple icon with the line underneath it where it stops. I get to Clover Manager, If anyone know where I can get info on booting into a safe mode and how I can fix this I would be greatly happy...

Thank for any feedback an advance

------------------------------------------------
i7 intel
32 gigs of ram
500 GB Solid State Drive - this is the boot drive
2X 2TB Drives
Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 5 MotherBoard
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 750Ti - graphic card

The only thing I can think of to do if you screwed up the permissions on the entire drive is to attempt to repair permissions. To do this you'll have to boot into single-user mode by using the down arrow to go to Options in the Clover boot menu, hit enter, add "-s" (without the quotes) to the end of the Boot Flags, then back out of the Options menu and hit Enter to boot.

If this works, you'll be at a command prompt. You are root (superuser) at this point, but the root drive is mounted read-only. You'll need to change it to read-write in order to run repair permissions. Enter the following commands (the first one, then the second one when the first completes):

Code:
fsck -fy
mount -uw /

Now you can attempt to verify and then repair permissions. The commands for that are:

Code:
/usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /
/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Once that finishes, type "exit" to exit single-user mode and continue normal bootup. Good luck!

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of to do if you screwed up the permissions on the entire drive is to attempt to repair permissions. To do this you'll have to boot into single-user mode by using the down arrow to go to Options in the Clover boot menu, hit enter, add "-s" (without the quotes) to the end of the Boot Flags, then back out of the Options menu and hit Enter to boot.

If this works, you'll be at a command prompt. You are root at this point, but the root drive is mounted read-only. You'll need to change it to read-write in order to run repair permissions. Enter the following commands (the first one, then the second one when the first completes):

Code:
fsck -fy
mount -uw /

Now you can attempt to verify and then repair permissions. The commands for that are:

Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

Once that finishes, type "exit" to exit single-user mode and continue normal bootup. Good luck!

Thank you for your help... I tried this but it didn't seem to work:

after I put:
localhost:/ root# sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /
I got:
sudo: /etc/sudoers is world writable
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found. quitting

Here's a photo of what's happening and maybe I have it wrong or maybe you can look at the attached photo and give me more feedback. Again thanks
...a

Attachments

• sudo.jpg
    sudo.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 82
Thank you for your help... I tried this but it didn't seem to work:

after I put:
localhost:/ root# sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /
I got:
sudo: /etc/sudoers is world writable
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found. quitting

DUH, my boneheaded mistake....

Since you're booted in single-user mode, you're already root and you don't need the "sudo" at the beginning of the commands.

Thanks, so I don't need sudo but do I need the first /?

It worked!

As a newbie running my first Hackintosh I tried to change the permission on my root drive (bad idea). After freezing and a restart my box wouldn’t complete the boot process after that and hung up showing nothing but a black screen with a white apple on it without continuing the boot process. I posted to the forum and nobodynose piped in with what he felt might help. And it did!

/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

There’s a process that you need to follow to get to the command prompt before applying this. Check out nobodynose’s thread

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/el-captain-not-booting.217861/

If you are not at the root directory you will need to add the sudo syntax before the first forward slash. If you are at the root directory start with the forward slash as shown above.

I added the first line of syntax the computer became active and it rain down text for hours running through ever needed file. I just let it do its thing! Then I applied the last line of syntax I left it until morning. This morning my computer booted as normal. Will do more checking later, but all seems well. Thank you again nobodynose.

If you are not at the root directory you will need to add the sudo syntax before the first forward slash. If you are at the root directory start with the forward slash as shown above.

A slight clarification on this - whether or not you need to use "sudo" has nothing to do with which directory you're in; rather, it has to do with which user you're logged in as. If you aren't logged in as root (as you are automatically when you boot into single-user mode) you need "sudo". It stands for "superuser do", meaning perform the following command as the superuser, a.k.a. the root user.

@aVancouver, I'm glad I was able to help!

Ran into that problem again with El Captain not booting, I tried to run the syntax again but this time it wouldn't run. Attached are a couple photos. One photo is an extension that I believe came up the last time it happen and could be the problem (not sure). The next photo might show why the syntax isn't running this time.

Attachments

• extension.JPG
    extension.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
  • syntaxnotrunning.JPG
    syntaxnotrunning.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back