Contribute
Register

El capitán works. Can't update to Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your ioreg shows CI working, but not QE.

Your problem is your laptop has no Intel MEI device. It is required.
Most common causes:
- bad BIOS flash
- bad IMEI firmware flash
- using a ES/QS CPU

Here`s the ioreg file from the system working in one of those random times when works.
I`ve flashed my bios with a non whitelisted one. don`t know if that made any difference, it stills doing the same. When ever it wants works.

Attachments

• Working CI QE.ioreg
    4 MB · Views: 95
Is normal that graphics works ok randomly?

Yes.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

You need to fix the IMEI.
You should check your CPU also. If you have an ES/QS CPU, you must replace it with a retail/OEM CPU.

I have one unrelated question. When I put the generated power management ssdt, do I need to use droptables?

You would know if you needed DropTables if you needed to drop them during installation.
That's assuming you followed my guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

and if I do do I have to put all the others ssdt`s that I extracted and decompiled in the clover-patched folder?

Your profile indicates you have no Nvidia or AMD graphics card.
Therefore no reason to patch the SSDTs, as all renames can be done from config.plist.
My guide plists have all the typical renames already present.

Then the bios was flashed, to a newer version and my u410 touch, now show in bios as u310. Maybe this could be the problem.

Sounds like a botched BIOS flash.

All I found was about the IMEI on phones.

IMEI on PCs is "Intel Management Engine Interface".

Here`s the ioreg file from the system working in one of those random times when works.
I`ve flashed my bios with a non whitelisted one. don`t know if that made any difference, it stills doing the same. When ever it wants works.

No IMEI here either.
It is pure random luck as to whether it works on a given boot or not.

Yes.

You need to fix the IMEI.
You should check your CPU also. If you have an ES/QS CPU, you must replace it with a retail/OEM CPU.

About what you said on fix the IMEI, do you mean in the DSDT?
I found this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297054-help-intel-hd4000-os-x-1092-detected-but-no-qeqc/
but didn't work.
Please can you point me in the right direction? or there`s no solution for this problem.

All I was able to find in regards to the CPU. From what I read it seems that my CPU is legit. Not ES/QS. But maybe you can confirm.

CPUZ i5 3337U.png HWiNFO64 i5 3337U.png
https://ark.intel.com/es/products/72055/Intel-Core-i5-3337U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/index.html

Sounds like a botched BIOS flash.

I`ve already flashed my bios again. Now it shows U410 touch and is whitelist removed. But the problem persists.

No IMEI here either.
It is pure random luck as to whether it works on a given boot or not.

Can you please teach me what to look in ioreg to know this?

take care, have a great day.

About what you said on fix the IMEI, do you mean in the DSDT?

It is not possible to fix with DSDT.
It is something you must do by fixing the motherboard/CPU/firmware flash.
Sometimes installing Windows and the Intel MEI driver has fixed it.

It is not possible to fix with DSDT.
It is something you must do by fixing the motherboard/CPU/firmware flash.
Sometimes installing Windows and the Intel MEI driver has fixed it.
Well that`s sad. At least I know we tried all options. I have windows installed in other disk and updated the intel graphics drivers but nothing. The last thing I would try is to downgrade-flash the bios.
Do you still think the CPU can be ES/QS?

Finally I moved on and keep working on the rest of things. (For now I have to deal with the IMEI problem).
I now have power management ssdt. It seems to be working fine.
I patched the DSDT and battery is working.
*I did followed https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/
but can`t get brightness to work. I was only able to see the brightness slider in prefs.
*I also have problems with sleep. The system wakes right when it starts to sleep. If just the screen is turned off it doesn't wake. I used the 7-8 series usb patch, and the usb multiplex one (one by one, and both together) and didn't work. I did unplugged all usb`s.
Wake reason.png
*The other thing is at boot. The system hangs for a while in the same spot always. then starts.
-v Where Boot stucks for a while.JPG

I uploaded all my files again. Please let me know if I did thing better this time or if there is still a "mess".
If you can tell me what to do next will be cool. I don`t know if I need to make more patches or if things are working fine.
I even got iMessage and FaceTime working. And the touch screen incredibly works perfectly fine.

PS/I want to give my two cents. Do you think that is a good idea if I make a guide for Sierra for the Lenovo u410 touch? I have every step made written and fresh in my mind, and somethings where hard to understand for me, so I think maybe I could help others a little at least.

Thanks man for all your patience.

Attachments

• Reporting Files.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 63
Well that`s sad. At least I know we tried all options. I have windows installed in other disk and updated the intel graphics drivers but nothing.

Graphics drivers are not the Intel MEI drivers.

*I did followed https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/
but can`t get brightness to work. I was only able to see the brightness slider in prefs.

The u410 is not compatible with AppleBacklight.kext nor IntelBacklight.kext. And ACPIBacklight.kext (and IntelBacklight.kext) don't work on 10.12.4 and later.

You can use ACPIBacklight.kext with the special u310/u410 patch, and then operate brightness controls with Brightness by bergdesign.

*I also have problems with sleep. The system wakes right when it starts to sleep.

Sounds like "instant wake".
See ACPI patching guide.

*The other thing is at boot. The system hangs for a while in the same spot always. then starts.

This is due to lack of IMEI.

PS/I want to give my two cents. Do you think that is a good idea if I make a guide for Sierra for the Lenovo u410 touch?

There are already several guides.
Look in the guides forums.

Graphics drivers are not the Intel MEI drivers.
Well, I`ve learn a lot about IMEI. Now I'm sure that mine is corrupted in bios. Not even working in windows; device manager doesn't even recognize it. I even flashed the bios 2 times; now I`m going to the place that replaced the bios chip, because it seems that it wasn't`t properly programmed. Hopefully they can fix it, if not it seems I have no other option that to change my motherboard (Meaning I will have to live whit this, and start saving for a new pc in a while, because the mobo is $600.000COP (aprox. 200USD), and no one will pay 300USD for my laptop :thumbdown).
Sounds like "instant wake"
See ACPI patching guide.
I tried everything in the guides regarding "instant wake", but guess what, IMEI is also in someway responsible for it.
Didn't imagine that IMEI was so important for so many things.
I also did run the intel software to check the CPU, and at least everything pass the test, so now I'm sure the CPU is genuine and no ES/QS.
There are already several guides.
Look in the guides forums.
I know there are guides for u310/u410, and they were really helpful (I read all of them many times), but they are not for Sierra, and some files are different than the ones I had to use. Also there were many things that were a little confusing and some assume you know many things in advance. So I thought maybe I could elaborate on those things that were complicated for me, to help other newbies like myself; even knowing this is an old laptop.
But if you think is not needed I respect your opinion.

I`ll let you know how things go if I manage to fix my IMEI problem.

THANK YOU so much for your help, I`m sad that I have this issue (not easy solution), but at least now I know what the problem is. Now you can see it was not me not reading carefully or me not following the guides :mrgreen:.
Take care man.:thumbup:

Well, I`ve learn a lot about IMEI. Now I'm sure that mine is corrupted in bios. Not even working in windows; device manager doesn't even recognize it. I even flashed the bios 2 times; now I`m going to the place that replaced the bios chip, because it seems that it wasn't`t properly programmed. Hopefully they can fix it, if not it seems I have no other option that to change my motherboard (Meaning I will have to live whit this, and start saving for a new pc in a while, because the mobo is $600.000COP (aprox. 200USD), and no one will pay 300USD for my laptop :thumbdown).

I tried everything in the guides regarding "instant wake", but guess what, IMEI is also in someway responsible for it.
Didn't imagine that IMEI was so important for so many things.
I also did run the intel software to check the CPU, and at least everything pass the test, so now I'm sure the CPU is genuine and no ES/QS.

I know there are guides for u310/u410, and they were really helpful (I read all of them many times), but they are not for Sierra, and some files are different than the ones I had to use. Also there were many things that were a little confusing and some assume you know many things in advance. So I thought maybe I could elaborate on those things that were complicated for me, to help other newbies like myself; even knowing this is an old laptop.
But if you think is not needed I respect your opinion.

I`ll let you know how things go if I manage to fix my IMEI problem.

THANK YOU so much for your help, I`m sad that I have this issue (not easy solution), but at least now I know what the problem is. Now you can see it was not me not reading carefully or me not following the guides :mrgreen:.
Take care man.:thumbup:

"instant wake" is fixed by disabling wake on USB vis the appropriate "USB _PRW" patch.

Only minor changes between earlier versions of OS X and current Sierra (and even High Sierra).
Don't discount older guides. The fundamentals are the same.

For example, I have the ProBook 4530s working on 10.6.8 through 10.13.beta (and all major versions between) with the same EFI/Clover setup and essentially the same kexts installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back