Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97N wifi
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello all... I am still very happy with my El Capitan which has always run smoothly but my Google sync app is not supported anymore so I am considering an upgrade...
I suppose upgrading from El Capitan to Catalina cannot be done by the standard upgrade. What procedure would you recommend? Start from scratch?
Also I have an nvidia card (GT 740).... is it possible to run it on Catalina and find adapted drivers?

Thanks very much for your help...

Hello all... I am still very happy with my El Capitan which has always run smoothly but my Google sync app is not supported anymore so I am considering an upgrade...
I suppose upgrading from El Capitan to Catalina cannot be done by the standard upgrade. What procedure would you recommend? Start from scratch?
Also I have an nvidia card (GT 740).... is it possible to run it on Catalina and find adapted drivers?

i have moved your post to desktop support

The GT 740 is natively supported on MacOS Catalina so it should work directly.

I would install Catalina from scratch on a new disk. Keep the old disk with El Capitan (disconnect or disable when installing Catalina) so that in case of problems you can still fall back to El Capitan and work from there.

Thank you all.
Everything worked smoothly. Installed a fresh Catalina (with gitMacOs).
Audio and graphic settings which had been a bit tricky at the time with El Capitan worked like a charm this time.
thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back