Contribute
Register

EL CAPITAN on ASUS Sabertooth X79

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard | BIOS Ver: 4701
CPU
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70 GHz SPEED 3700MHz
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card 04G-P4-3975-KR
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My Specs for this Build:
  • Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard | BIOS Ver: 4701
========================
  • CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70 GHz SPEED 3700MHz
========================
  • Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card 04G-P4-3975-KR
========================
  • HD1: 240 GB SATA SSD
========================

• HD2: Kingston Digital HyperX Predator 480 GB PCIe Gen2 x 4 Solid State Drive 8-Inch SHPM2280P2H/480G
========================

• RAM: Crucial Ballistic Elite 64 GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 S

1. So from following the El Capitan Guide on any Intel Based CPU... http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

MY BIOS: IMG_1061.jpg

• Following each step to a T, I tried first by just booting from the USB without using any boot flags. Under my current BIOS settings I had to enable OtherOS under AdvancedMode-->Boot-->SecureBoot-->OtherOS. This allowed me to boot to the UEFI USB Stick.
  • After Enabling OtherOS. I was able to get to the apple logo (not using verbose flag), and the progress bar will show but never begins to show any progress. The progress bar never started, I left it alone for 1 hour.
  • Next, after moving further down the rabbit hole, I began to read more about my Motherboard and potential boot flags which to use for my build. (npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000). Using either of these flags allows the Clover installer progress bar to proceed as if we are moving further (trying to get to boot the OS).
  • I've only been able to get the Clover installer to load 3/4 of the way which in verbose mode distorts the text and throws the prohibit symbol.

SCREENSHOTS OF CURRENT PROGRESS:

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpgIMG_1065.jpgIMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1082.jpgIMG_1081.jpgIMG_1068.jpgIMG_1083.jpg

When making my bootable USB, I used the injected graphics for NVIDIA. (I've made 2 separate USB sticks, one with and one without the injected graphics, same result). I have tried also using: nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 flags with no luck.

If anyone has any light they could shed relating to any of the specs for this build, I would be greatly appreciative if to make any progress.

Not a Desktop Guide - Moved to Desktop Support.

• Once you see a progress bar, you are in the hands of OS X not Clover.
  • The error at the bottom of the distorted screen is "still waiting for root device". That means the USB port that your install drive is plugged into is not working correctly in El Capitan. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/179056-usb-fixes.html#post1152921 (or else use a USB2 drive and keep trying different USB ports until one works).
  • You should have inject nvidia=false in config.plist for the 970
  • You should boot with nv_disable=1 for the 970 until you can install and load the OS and install the Nvidia Web drivers. Thereafter boot with nvda_drv=1 instead.

Thanks for the reply on this thread, I was actually just reading up on this a few minutes ago and then saw your post. I will try this USB Fix, hopefully with some progress. I will try and update my findings soon

I've tried adding the USB Fix, using the most recent kexts. I've tried adding them to 10.10, 10.11 and then removing them all together and placing all the kexts in the "other" folder.

All times attempting this using flags: npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -v

Each time I can reach about 3/4 of the way into the apple install (progress bar), then its obvious that I lose power on my USB keyboard.

I did also edit the config.plist to turn the inject nvidia=false

My SMBIOS is an iMac 13,2 .... Though the next thing I'm going to attempt is to edit the config.plist to add:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]	<key>ACPI</key>[/COLOR]	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Patches</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>RUhDMQ==</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>RUgwMQ==</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>RUhDMg==</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>RUgwMg==</data>
				</dict>
			</array>
		</dict>
	</dict> [COLOR=#000000] ...[/COLOR]

SCREENSHOT OF .PLIST

Capture.PNG
(NOT YET EDITED)

Yeah, you'll have more trouble with iMac13,2. I'm not sure whether that patch is going to be enough. I guess you get to be the Guinea Pig. Let us know how you make out! If it doesn't work there's one more kext+boot arg to try.

Hi

you need the following boot flags to boot the system as well as the installer.

npci=0x2000 PciRoot=1 kext-dev-mode=1

Cheers

Thanks But still a no-go

Read the most current bit via ParisKitty

https://m.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/3u84oc/asus_sabertooth_x79_trying_to_launch_el_capitan/
I had a similar problem with the same M/B. My system is ASUS Sabertooth X79 + GeForce GTX 760.

Mine got stuck with garbled texts with a forbidden sign. It is caused by the lost USB port during the installation. It looked like this one: http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...top-sign-when-booting-usb-installer-image.jpg

I solved this problem by using a SSD instead of USB key.

First, use USB to SSD cable and make an installation disk as you do with a USB key.

Second, connect this SSD internally to a SATA port of M/B. This should let you reach to the OSX installation screen with a language selection list.

Now, to the real challenge. By the time you get to this screen, you will loose all your USB 2/3 ports. How can you click on the installation screen without mouse or keyboard?

My answer was to use USB 3 expansion card which has the same chip sets as the genuine Mac.

This page has some examples: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/174489-usb-3-0-pcie-cards-work-oob-el-cap.html

The keyboard/mouse has to be connected to the USB 2 port at the beginning. USB 3 expansion card will works only after the OSX takes over and installation begins. When the OSX installation starts, move your keyboard/mouse to the USB 3 port. This should allow you to finish the entire installation process.

Note: You will need a custom made DSDT to enable the lost USB ports on the M/B after the installation.

OP on this thread generously shares his custom made DSDT for this M/B. /r/hackintosh/comments/3mkvgf/asus_sabertooth_x79_usb2_working_on_el_capitan_gm/

If you do not know how to overwrite DSDT, see this page. /r/hackintosh/comments/34098v/dummys_guide_to_importing_preconfigured_dsdtssdt/

There seems to be no kext yet to enable USB 3 ports on this M/B. It is easy to understand because USB 3 on this M/B is not by Intel but by a third party (ASMedia).

The lost USB 3 ports on the M/B should not be too big a problem since you would have a fully working USB 3 expansion card in the above described procedure.

I wish you a happy Hacking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back