Contribute
Register

El Capitan GTX980 - Multiple Monitors = No Boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo X1 Carbon (Gen 3 20BS) - Clover
CPU
i7-5600U
Graphics
HD 5500, 1920x1080
I am working on my desktop build which is an X99 motherboard and i7-5820k processor (see the details on the left <--)

I just did a clean install of El Capitan 10.11.4 primarily following this guide.

Everything is working fine however when I plug in my second, or third monitor osx fails to boot and my machine restarts. All monitors, cables, and ports work, I have tested them all individually but if I plug in 2 or more at a time it will crash during boot. If I plug in the second and third monitor after boot then they work fine.

Any tips for resolving this?

Thanks,
JC

Hi TL,

I followed all of your directions to the letter but I do not see any change. I already had the latest Nvidia drivers, but not the CUDA so I installed those. I changed my CSR value to 0x03 to 0x67.

In my config.plist I already have nvda_drv=1, for reference I am attaching my config.plist and screenshots below.

As seen in those screenshots I have 3 working monitors, but every time I boot I must unplug 2 of them or else the machine will crash. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
JC

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 4.02.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 4.02.01 PM.png
    371.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 4.03.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 4.03.13 PM.png
    79 KB · Views: 113
Hi TL,

I followed all of your directions to the letter but I do not see any change. I already had the latest Nvidia drivers, but not the CUDA so I installed those. I changed my CSR value to 0x03 to 0x67.

In my config.plist I already have nvda_drv=1, for reference I am attaching my config.plist and screenshots below.

As seen in those screenshots I have 3 working monitors, but every time I boot I must unplug 2 of them or else the machine will crash. Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
JC

What kind of cable are you using to connect your monitors?

All three have converters, one is Dvi - > HDMI and the other two are DisplayPort -> HDMI. (Monitors only have HDMI inputs)

During boot I have tried every port on my graphics card, every cable, and every monitor combination I could think of. It doesn't matter which cable or which monitor is plugged in when I boot as long as there is only one. When I reach the login screen I can plugin the other two without issue.

Edit: Just adding a little extra information. My machine panics/reboots at the same spot that it would stop responding if I hadn't implemented fix 4 from here. When booting with one monitor, it loses signal for a moment and then recovers, where if I plug in more than one monitor, signal is lost and the machine reboots.

All three have converters, one is Dvi - > HDMI and the other two are DisplayPort -> HDMI. (Monitors only have HDMI inputs)

During boot I have tried every port on my graphics card, every cable, and every monitor combination I could think of. It doesn't matter which cable or which monitor is plugged in when I boot as long as there is only one. When I reach the login screen I can plugin the other two without issue.

Edit: Just adding a little extra information. My machine panics/reboots at the same spot that it would stop responding if I hadn't implemented fix 4 from here. When booting with one monitor, it loses signal for a moment and then recovers, where if I plug in more than one monitor, signal is lost and the machine reboots.

I believe you need to have active adapters or at least for the second and third monitors.

Is this something new/specific to El Capitan?

Yesterday it was all working beautifully with Yosemite. Only reason I upgraded was to get Xcode 7.3

Is this something new/specific to El Capitan?

Yesterday it was all working beautifully with Yosemite. Only reason I upgraded was to get Xcode 7.3

It is true for AMD cards not positive about Nvidia. Personally I don't have any issues booting with multiple displays but X99 systems often behave differently than Z97 systems.

Hello there. I'm having the same exact problem as OP. Did you figure out how to solve it? Thank you.

I'm running on an ASRock Z170 Extreme4 with a NVIDIA GTX 950 GPU.

Updated to the latest version of El Cap and the latest Nvida drivers back in June and it just started working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back