Contribute
Register

El Capitan / Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 / i7-7700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Inte
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W
Graphics
[NOT YET INSTALLED] VGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING, 04G-P4-6251-KR, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXO
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am building my first ever PC and my first ever Hackintosh! I have built a machine that turns on and reaches Bios (yay) but am having trouble getting the installer to run. BIOS reports that memory and processor are recognised and working (albeit a little hot at 44C but I am in Dubai!).

I have not yet installed the graphics card or Wifi adapter.

INSTALLED:
Motherboard
: GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W
Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Model BLS2K8G4D240FSB
Power Supply: CORSAIR RMx Series RM650X 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply
Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa 92mm FSB (Fluid Shield Bearing) Powerful Cooling Performance CPU Cooler

NOT INSTALLED:
Graphics card:
VGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING, 04G-P4-6251-KR, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
Wifi Adapter: Rosewill RNX-AC1300PCE WiFi Adapter / Wireless Adapter / PCI-E Network Card , 802.11AC Dual Band AC1300 PCI Express Network

Process so far:

1. I would ideally be installing Sierra but I have found no way to get it as it is no longer available in the app store following the release of High Sierra. The latest version I can get from my Purchased screen in the App Store is El Capitan so I am trying with that.

2. I have followed the instructions (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ported-intel-based-pc.200564/#create_unibeast) for creating a Sierra USB with UniBeast – I did not use the El Capitan one as the Disk Utility interface has changed. I did use the correct verison of UniBeast for El Capitan (6.2.0). The Unibeast USB creates successfully.

3. BIOS Settings: I have tried multiple combinations but the changes below are what get me to the point I am at (mostly from here but with the Super IO setting also amended):

Step 1= Load Optimized Default
Step 2= IN BIOS Tab

Windows 8/10 Features = Other OS
Storage Boot Option Control = UEFI
Step 3= Peripherals Tab
Initial Display Output = IGFX
XHCI Handoff = Enabled (In USB Configuration)
Super IO > Serial > Both disabled
Step 4= Chipset Tab
VT-D = Disabled
Internal Graphics = Enabled
DVMT Pre-Allocated = 64M
Step 5= Save and Exit

4. Booting from the USB
a. If I try to boot Clover in verbose mode without amending any flags, the process reaches a “Row of pluses” and seems to experience a kernel panic. Machine reboots and arrives back at the Clover screen.
b. I amend boot args, also from here

boot argument = cpus=1
ACPI patching = under DSDT settings uncheck everything except USB fix.
Binaries: set fakeCPUID = 0x0506E3

Result:

In non-verbose mode, I get the apple logo and the progress bar gets 2/3 of the way and seems to get stuck. In verbose mode the process hangs at the point shown below:

img_1342-jpg.282065

. • • IOGraphics flags 0x43
Previous shutdown cause: 5
• •
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceNatching(RppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
WARNING: I0PlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model Ox5e
-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported
DSMOS has arrived
***. EIOBluetoothFamilyllSearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandlerT -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!
Sat Sep 30 13:57:01 2017 Mac-Prodocal com.apple.xpc.launchall (org.ntp.sntp.117) (Warning>: Service exited with abnormal code: 255

Other information:

- Tried multiple USB ports. The 2.0 port directly on the motherboard gets me to this point where most others give me repeating USB errors.

- I have researched to an extent updating kexts and making additional changes with clover configurator, but an El Capitan installation on a 7th gen CPU, and with this motherboard, seems to be rare. I have tried a couple of options but I feel I am stabbing in the dark a little as I have not found any successful El Capitan installations with identical hardware. Will continue to experiment while I await any assistance the community can offer!

I am super impressed with this community and I wouldn’t have got to where I am without you guys. I hope I’ve followed all the rules and everything is clear. Please help me not have to resort to Windows!

EDIT:

I finally reached the installer less than an hour after posting this!

I replaced my entire CLOVER directory with the one linked here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...stallation-on-kabylake-i7-7700k/#entry2381567

Now watching the progress on the install. 12 minutes remaining (for the last 5 minutes)...

EDIT 2:

All installed and working with onboard graphics. Sound and ethernet working fine.

Was about to install drivers for GTX 1050, and then I read that won't be possible: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...x-1050-ti-and-el-capitan.219886/#post-1484569

So, is it still the case that I cannot get my GTX1050 working on El Capitan? Is there any way I can upgrade to Sierra (not High Sierra) now I have a working El Capitan installation?

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,562
Last edited:
I am building my first ever PC and my first ever Hackintosh! I have built a machine that turns on and reaches Bios (yay) but am having trouble getting the installer to run. BIOS reports that memory and processor are recognized and working (albeit a little hot at 44C but I am in Dubai!).

I have not yet installed the graphics card or Wifi adapter.

INSTALLED:
Motherboard
: GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W
Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Model BLS2K8G4D240FSB
Power Supply: CORSAIR RMx Series RM650X 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply
Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa 92mm FSB (Fluid Shield Bearing) Powerful Cooling Performance CPU Cooler

NOT INSTALLED:
Graphics card:
VGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GAMING, 04G-P4-6251-KR, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
Wifi Adapter: Rosewill RNX-AC1300PCE WiFi Adapter / Wireless Adapter / PCI-E Network Card , 802.11AC Dual Band AC1300 PCI Express Network

All installed and working with onboard graphics. Sound and ethernet working fine.

Was about to install drivers for GTX 1050, and then I read that won't be possible: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...x-1050-ti-and-el-capitan.219886/#post-1484569

So, is it still the case that I cannot get my GTX1050 working on El Capitan? Is there any way I can upgrade to Sierra (not High Sierra) now I have a working El Capitan installation?

The Pascal series graphics cards have no native support in MacOS, and Nvidia only releases drivers for the Pascal series graphics cards, including your GTX1050, starting with MacOS Sierra (10.12.4 or above). So you won't be able to get it to work under El Capitan.

To upgrade or install Sierra you will need access to a copy of the MacOS Sierra installer. Since you do not have access to it I don't think you can upgrade to Sierra now.

To upgrade or install Sierra you will need access to a copy of the MacOS Sierra installer. Since you do not have access to it I don't think you can upgrade to Sierra now.

Thanks Mr Bond. Does anyone happen to know what will happen if I go to the App Store on the new Hackintosh and allow El Capitan to update? Will there be an upgrade path to Sierra or will it force me directly to High Sierra?

Thanks Mr Bond. Does anyone happen to know what will happen if I go to the App Store on the new Hackintosh and allow El Capitan to update? Will there be an upgrade path to Sierra or will it force me directly to High Sierra?

Most likely you will be forced directly to High Sierra. If you want to try, I suggest you create a clone of your El Capitan installation and use that clone to try to upgrade.

Personally, I won't install a new OS upon release as it is most likely full of bugs (and for High Sierra there is its new file system APFS which is obviously not ready for rotational hard disks) which will be patched in the forthcoming point updates. I won't consider installing High Sierra until at least 10.13.4. I do not recommend you try to upgrade at this time.

Thanks again. As I only bought the machine to improve the performance of 3D rendering in Blender, I need the graphics card to be operational. I’ll go straight into High Sierra and prepare for frustration! And if it gets too much, over to Windows with me

After being in the same situation I went back to the apple store(in my new hackintosh) and somehow the Sierra 10.12.6 installer was there so I downloaded it and created a new usb with Sierra and started the process all over again.

After being in the same situation I went back to the apple store(in my new hackintosh) and somehow the Sierra 10.12.6 installer was there so I downloaded it and created a new usb with Sierra and started the process all over again.
Thanks Franco, very useful to know. I’ve gone straight to High Sierra now, working well, I basically followed all the steps on this post and its replies on ****** - luckily the hardware was very similar to mine:

https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/73hnd6/comment/dnqkjtq?st=J8JP8ENS&sh=542a43a5 https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/73hnd6/comment/dnqkjtq?st=J8JP8ENS&sh=542a43a5

Thanks Franco, very useful to know. I’ve gone straight to High Sierra now, working well, I basically followed all the steps on this post and its replies on ****** - luckily the hardware was very similar to mine:
Thanks for the link.
ATM moment Sierra is quite stable and the rendering time for videos on FCPX is stunning. Will stay here for a bit before tempting High Sierra.

Thanks for the link.
ATM moment Sierra is quite stable and the rendering time for videos on FCPX is stunning. Will stay here for a bit before tempting High Sierra.
That is probably quite sensible. I’m having some issues, in particular I can’t render on the GPU (1050Ti) in Blender - the application crashes instantly when rendering. I’ve dug around a little online but not found anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back