Contribute
Register

El Capitan everything too fast post install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
G'day, I have run into a problem with my newly installed CustoMac and was wondering if i could get some help.
Specs. I am installing El Capitan rather than Seria as the mac that i have access to is an original aluminium iMac refresh which apple has dropped support for, thus i am unable to download it off the appstore.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 (unknown CPU in about this mac)
Motherboard: Asus H170 Pro
Ram: Corsair LPX DDR 2x4GB
Power Supply: EVGA 650GQ
Graphics Card Gigabyte 7970 GHZ edition (recognised by OSX)
OSX destination drive: Samsung 128gb 840 SSD

BIOS settings:
1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Load Optimized Defaults
3. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
4. If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
5. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
6. Set OS Type to Other OS
7. If your system has IO SerialPort, disable it
8. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
IOAPIC 24-119 entries: Disabled (this being enabled caused a kernel panic during the install)
Turbo Mode: Disabled

Installation via unibeast
the default SMBIOS of iMac 17,1 caused a compatibility error at the beginning of the installer, SMBIOS set to 15,1 in the clover installation fixed this.
Kernel Support CPU must also be ticked in the clover boot screen to avoid the installation failing.
NullCPUPowerManagement kext added to USB. Absence of this kext was causing a Kernel Panic
Install is on an SSD just formatted as MAC OSX extended Journaled. No dual boot shenanigans on the drive.

Problem:

The system boots fine and Mac OSX is accessible but, everything runs super fast, The countdown when you click "shutdown" will tick down from 60 to 1 in about 10 seconds or so. Keys entered like they are being held down and will act as if they have been pressed multiple times. The entirety the OS is running at light speed (including animations and file transfers etc) and will crash after a few minutes. The problem was present at the installation screen too.

I have searched around and there are only a few threads and posts online with the solution to this problem which involve installing clover (which is already use) but the threads I could find involved installation onto a laptop.

My CPU is unidentifiable in "about this mac". Using the clover config program i set my CPU to 1600mhz hoping this would affect the issue but it had no effect.

Switching from Graphics Card to Intel Graphics had no effect.

I hope I have provided enough information for troubleshooting, I would really appreciate some help, I am all out of ideas.

Thank you.

G'day, I have run into a problem with my newly installed CustoMac and was wondering if i could get some help.
Specs. I am installing El Capitan rather than Seria as the mac that i have access to is an original aluminium iMac refresh which apple has dropped support for, thus i am unable to download it off the appstore.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 (unknown CPU in about this mac)
Motherboard: Asus H170 Pro
Ram: Corsair LPX DDR 2x4GB
Power Supply: EVGA 650GQ
Graphics Card Gigabyte 7970 GHZ edition (recognised by OSX)
OSX destination drive: Samsung 128gb 840 SSD

BIOS settings:
1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Load Optimized Defaults
3. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
4. If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
5. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
6. Set OS Type to Other OS
7. If your system has IO SerialPort, disable it
8. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
IOAPIC 24-119 entries: Disabled (this being enabled caused a kernel panic during the install)
Turbo Mode: Disabled

Installation via unibeast
the default SMBIOS of iMac 17,1 caused a compatibility error at the beginning of the installer, SMBIOS set to 15,1 in the clover installation fixed this.
Kernel Support CPU must also be ticked in the clover boot screen to avoid the installation failing.
NullCPUPowerManagement kext added to USB. Absence of this kext was causing a Kernel Panic
Install is on an SSD just formatted as MAC OSX extended Journaled. No dual boot shenanigans on the drive.

Problem:

The system boots fine and Mac OSX is accessible but, everything runs super fast, The countdown when you click "shutdown" will tick down from 60 to 1 in about 10 seconds or so. Keys entered like they are being held down and will act as if they have been pressed multiple times. The entirety the OS is running at light speed (including animations and file transfers etc) and will crash after a few minutes. The problem was present at the installation screen too.

I have searched around and there are only a few threads and posts online with the solution to this problem which involve installing clover (which is already use) but the threads I could find involved installation onto a laptop.

My CPU is unidentifiable in "about this mac". Using the clover config program i set my CPU to 1600mhz hoping this would affect the issue but it had no effect.

Switching from Graphics Card to Intel Graphics had no effect.

I hope I have provided enough information for troubleshooting, I would really appreciate some help, I am all out of ideas.

Thank you.

We have exactly the same issue (similar specs), but with Sierra, did you manage to solve this ?
Maybe you should ignore it first and continue the "hack" process...
Set up your SMBIOS, power management, Audio, Graphic, USB... and when the problem is still present report in this thread...

But I think it is not a big problem.

Actually we fixed that. It was ONE setting in config.plist. We had to set Fake CPUID to 0x0506E3 and everything went back to normal. It's funny though how fast system was.
Thanks anyways :)

Actually we fixed that. It was ONE setting in config.plist. We had to set Fake CPUID to 0x0506E3 and everything went back to normal. It's funny though how fast system was.
Very nice that you fix it. I thought you don´t need Fake CPUID for Ivy Bridge processors like the i7 3770k, because they are natively supported...:)

Very nice that you fix it. I thought you don´t need Fake CPUID for Ivy Bridge processors like the i7 3770k, because they are natively supported...:)

3770k is Ivybridge and native does not require any FakeID.

Yes, that is the reason why I asked @hexplor why he fix it with Fake CPUID when Ivy Bridge is natively supported...

But bare in mind that -xcpm flag is no longer available for Ivybridge CPUs i.e needs to be removed from boot-args in Clover. I never needed that flag for my Z77 Desktop neither does hexplor.

But bare in mind that -xcpm flag is no longer available for Ivybridge CPUs i.e needs to be removed from boot-args in Clover. I never needed that flag for my Z77 Desktop neither does hexplor.
Thank you for the information, but it isn´t important for me, because I only have notebooks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back