Contribute
Register

El Cap won't boot without USB (legacy mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
CPU
i5 > Need version > See Rules!
Graphics
GT 220
System:
El Capitan
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
award bios (therefore using the legacy mode)

The problem i am having is that i can get into my OSx only if i have the boot usb stick connected and load the OSx from there.
If the USB is not connected, my system constantly restarts.

What i have found out so far is that i need to use unibeast in legacy mode because my bios is quite old. what i researched showed me that when using legacy mode, i also need to format my disk in Master Boot Record and not in GUID as explained in the Installation Guide.
Im not sure if this is true, but this seems plausible.
If i format my drive with MBR, my installation USB cant find my drive though.

catch 22...
do i need to format my drive with MBR if im using Legacy Mode? Or did i mess up some place else during installation?

System:
El Capitan
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
award bios (therefore using the legacy mode)

If i format my drive with MBR, my installation USB cant find my drive though.

catch 22...
do i need to format my drive with MBR if im using Legacy Mode? Or did i mess up some place else during installation?

No, you do not need to format MBR. If you do OS X installer will not install on it unless you patch it.

Create a UniBeast El Capitan USB installer and install El Capitan on your HDD/SSD.
Run MultiBeast post install and include NullCPUPowerManagement kext to prevent the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext from KP on boot.
If you have a patched DSDT for your system you can put it in Clover/ACPI/Patched folder and not use NullCPUPM.

ok cool. ill try that and report.

i didnt use the DSDT files before, because it was not mentioned in the Installation guide.

ok cool. ill try that and report.

i didnt use the DSDT files before, because it was not mentioned in the Installation guide.

Not mentioned because latest guide is for latest OS X and latest hardware. If using older hardware, you need to refer back to the guide for the particular hardware. Latest guide will not mention DSDT because since Haswell most systems do not need a DSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back