NVIDIA GeForce GT 445M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

I currently own a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" with i7, 16GB ram, SSD and 750m graphics. In the last 12 months I have started to get in to PC gaming and whilst it does a reasonable job for a laptop I want to improve my gaming experience. I have seen a few websites detailing external GPU enclosures that allow you to connect virtually any desktop graphics card to any thunderbolt enabled machine and receive 90%+ of the GPU's power.

I'm pretty set on a GTX 970 as this card seems to get you the best bang for your buck. The enclosure would then cost a further £400 ($600) bringing the total cost to approximately £700 ($1000).

My real question is, could I build a decent gaming Hackintosh for £700 that includes a GTX 970 card?

Also, if I did go the eGPU route, would the i7 in the MacBook Pro be good enough? It's the i7-4850HQ 2.3GHz.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Hi Mate yes you can build Hackintosh with such video card , I myself had Hackintosh with it and is working with the El Captain with latest web drivers from nvidia.

If you don't have problem breaching EULA go for the hackintosh as it's better than having eGPU as the bandwidth of TB2 is still far behind the native PCIe 3.0 16x. I can't comment the pricing as i'm not residing in US but most certainly Hackintosh will be cheeper, for eGPU you go gonna spend 200-300 $ (I'm talking about ready products ) if you go with DIY eGPU case then will be cheaper I assume but more pain.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back