Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
[Solved] EFI partition disappearing with Clover

Hi, I have a Hackintosh with a Z77-DS3H Gigabyte motherboard.
I updated from Maverick to Yosemite with no big issue with Chimera/Chameleon.
I wanted to solve the iMessage issue, so I decided to switch to Clover (UEFI).
I did install Clover on the same disk as OS X. Each time, the EFI partition was created with no issue.

But here is what happens everytime:
- I install Clover, mount the EFI partition to change the config file.
- Reboot... Everything working perfectly.
... until....
- Try to mount the EFI again to make some changes in the config BUT this time the partition won't mount. EFI shows in the terminal when I list the drives (disk1s1), though. I tried with command lines, EFI Mounter and Disk Utility.
- When I try to mount it with the clover configurator, I get a "EFI" folder in /Volumes instead of a drive. And that folder is empty.
- Each time after booting, OS X won't start, which I think is normal since EFI disappeared. I then have to setup my Hackintosh all over again.

I tried 3 times. Even with creating the FAT32 EFI partition myself, I get the same problem each time.
Does someone know the reason and how to fix it? Do I need to install Clover on a bootable USB instead of the system drive? I couldn't find if this was the issue (and didn't have a USB key available). Also, is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance... Any piece of advice would help me a lot!

Last edited:
Hi, I have a Hackintosh with a Z77-DS3H Gigabyte motherboard.
I updated from Maverick to Yosemite with no big issue with Chimera/Chameleon.
I wanted to solve the iMessage issue, so I decided to switch to Clover (UEFI).
I did install Clover on the same disk as OS X. Each time, the EFI partition was created with no issue.

But here is what happens everytime:
- I install Clover, mount the EFI partition to change the config file.
- Reboot... Everything working perfectly.
... until....
- Try to mount the EFI again to make some changes in the config BUT this time the partition won't mount. EFI shows in the terminal when I list the drives (disk1s1), though. I tried with command lines, EFI Mounter and Disk Utility.
- When I try to mount it with the clover configurator, I get a "EFI" folder in /Volumes instead of a drive. And that folder is empty.
- Each time after booting, OS X won't start, which I think is normal since EFI disappeared. I then have to setup my Hackintosh all over again.

I tried 3 times. Even with creating the FAT32 EFI partition myself, I get the same problem each time.
Does someone know the reason and how to fix it? Do I need to install Clover on a bootable USB instead of the system drive? I couldn't find if this was the issue (and didn't have a USB key available). Also, is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance... Any piece of advice would help me a lot!

Use clover configurator. I have the same motherboard as you and did the same process as you. Clover configurator has a bug that it does not appear properly. keep restarting and closing it until all the letters and config settings appear in the bottom windows. Then click mount efi. Close it again and launch it and repeat the process but now launching the config file from the bottom left window. Mine is working fine including iMessage and pretty much everything. I am really happy and surprised at how simple it was. I'm working on a guide to explain the process. ssdt is working as well I might add, i did not have to install or modify any kexts.

All I had to do was to copy the iMessage details from my mavericks partition, so to keep it all the same and configure clover to read my ssdt, bypass the boot screen and that was it.

Follow post install part of http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html to install Clover to your drive - do use diskutil list in terminal to make sure you are installing to the correct drive if more than one is connected (best to disconnect all other drives until you have everything working/booting properly)

Thanks I saw the tutorial, I'll try the Clover install directly (because I am used to install with Chimera and then switch to Clover). Maybe that will do the trick. The thing is that I don't want to do a clean install, that's why all is complicated...

hello,

I also decided to make the jump to clover to have iMessage etc functional.
I followed the clover guide to the letter and made a fresh install of Yosemite but I am facing the same issue, the EFI partition partition disappears after a reboot; how can this be solved?

Thanks

Ok i used the tool and was able to see the efi partition again. After a reboot it was gone again?
Everything works and i'm woondering: is this normal and will I have to use the tool each time i want to edit sthing in the EFI partition?

Yes it's normal unless you configure Clover to mount the partition when it boots. If you installed "Clover Preference Pane" you can configure it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back