Contribute
Register

EFI NTFS/FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I'm running macOS High Sierra on my Hackintosh. I want to dual boot it with windos 10.
This is all on my 500GB SSD. I also have 3x1TB in RAID0 inside my computer.
I created a partition for it, went to install it but it said it couldn't install with no further explanation, only saying I should try again. Now I noticed it created two extra partitions, a 16MB MRP (microsoft reserved partition) and a 500MB recovery disk. I had no idea what to do with this so i deleted all three partitions so there was one big free space again (along side my macOS and EFI partition). The USB I use was formatted with RUFUS with these options:
GPT partition table for UEFI
FAT32
clustersize 8192 bytes
quickformat
standard windows installation
Create extended labels and icons
IMG_7787.jpeg

Clicking next after selecting the free space made it seem it was going to install but after a few second this message arose (translated from dutch:) it has been determined that the EFI system partition is formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI as FAT32 and restart the installation
IMG_7788.jpeg

Now I thought this might have had something to do with the way I made my EUFI Bootable windows drive so I recreated it with these settings:
GPT partition table for UEFI
NTFS
clustersize 8192 bytes
quickformat
standard windows installation
Create extended labels and icons
IMG_7789.jpeg

I restarted, followed all previous steps and now this was the error:
Cannot prepare for rebooting in the next stage of the installation. Restart the installation if you want to install windows.
IMG_7790.jpeg
Does anyone know how I could fix this?
ps: In the future I will take all of my photo's in landscape mode so they won't turn up rotated ;)

The errors relate to the disk you are trying to install Windows onto, not the USB installer.
I created a partition for it, went to install it but it said it couldn't install with no further explanation
How did you create the new partition?

The errors relate to the disk you are trying to install Windows onto, not the USB installer.

How did you create the new partition?
I did it multiple times. The times I described above I deleted the partitions I was going to use in the windows installer and selected the free space to install Windows on. This created a new NTFS partition for windows 10 and the
16MB MRP (microsoft reserved partition) and a 500MB recovery disk
a few minutes ago I tried it again with the partition formatted to OS X Journaled to reformat it with the windows installer (quite a useless attempt as it creates a NTFS just like previous tries), however It won't let met reformat it. So I deleted it again and tried again and still no Windows 10 for me

I did it multiple times. The times I described above I deleted the partitions I was going to use in the windows installer and selected the free space to install Windows on. This created a new NTFS partition for windows 10 and the
a few minutes ago I tried it again with the partition formatted to OS X Journaled to reformat it with the windows installer (quite a useless attempt as it creates a NTFS just like previous tries), however It won't let met reformat it. So I deleted it again and tried again and still no Windows 10 for me
It is possible disabling other drives with EFI system partitions while you install Windows may allow the installation to proceed. You'll end up with a new EFI partition on the target disk with only Windows bootloader installed.

Wouldn’t that make my macos unbootable?
You'll still have an EFI partition on your macOS disk with Clover installed on it. Booting is determined by NVRAM variables not disk contents, if you can't boot Clover after installing Windows its easy to fix, but cross that bridge if you come to it.

Haha I'm sorry I don't have a lot of experience (yet), how can I do this?
In the firmware settings you can disable SATA ports connecting drives other than the SSD for windows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back