Contribute
Register

EFI Dualboot and Clover Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My drive is indicated as GPT in the column, and I believe I am booting in UEFI mode (I tried it both ways to no avail). I downloaded an iso directly from Microsoft, which I assume is normal. All other resources indicate that those iso files are considered retail. I attempted to do the same thing with Windows 8 and not 8.1 and I got the same result. Should I perhaps try another source for an iso?

What does the error messages say in the Windows installer?

What does the error messages say in the Windows installer?

Well none when I try to just reformat the partition like you said. The format button is just grayed out. If I try to delete the partition and create a partition from the empty space, Windows creates its many partitions and gives an error code of 0xC0000005.

Well none when I try to just reformat the partition like you said. The format button is just grayed out. If I try to delete the partition and create a partition from the empty space, Windows creates its many partitions and gives an error code of 0xC0000005.

There is usually a message at the bottom of the window to explain why the Format button is disabled.

There is usually a message at the bottom of the window to explain why the Format button is disabled.

Oh, right. It says:

"Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. WIndows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS.

Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. the partition is of an unrecognized type."

See attached:
20141013_170448.jpg

I'm always able to format it. There must be something funny about your USB installer. Did you use the "Win7 USB Download Tool" to create it from ISO?

You could always format in gparted (Linux) to NTFS.

See attached:

Are you sure your installer is 64bit and not 32-bit Windows?

I installed OS X & Windows 7 to the same drives and now separate ones.

The only way I was ever able to make it work is:

1) Boot (using UEFI) into Unibeast or Clover installer to use Disk Utility.

2) Use GPT and create 2 partitions. Partition 1: MSDOS (Label: BootCamp); Partition 2: HFS Journaled (Label: Macintosh HD)

3) Boot (using UEFI) using Windows installer; format Partition 1 (do not delete). Install Windows as normal.

4) Boot into Unibeast or Clover installer, install OS X to Partition 2.

5) From OS X install Clover for UEFI mode.

Any attempts to delete partitions in Windows installer creates the extra 'System Reserved' drive (MSR).

I'm always able to format it. There must be something funny about your USB installer. Did you use the "Win7 USB Download Tool" to create it from ISO?

You could always format in gparted (Linux) to NTFS.

I used the DVD burner. Do I need it to be USB?

I tried that (formatting using gparted), but then Windows asks to install additional partitions, and gives me that error code 0xc0000005 again.

Are you sure your installer is 64bit and not 32-bit Windows?

I installed OS X & Windows 7 to the same drives and now separate ones.

The only way I was ever able to make it work is:

1) Boot (using UEFI) into Unibeast or Clover installer to use Disk Utility.

2) Use GPT and create 2 partitions. Partition 1: MSDOS (Label: BootCamp); Partition 2: HFS Journaled (Label: Macintosh HD)

3) Boot (using UEFI) using Windows installer; format Partition 1 (do not delete). Install Windows as normal.

4) Boot into Unibeast or Clover installer, install OS X to Partition 2.

5) From OS X install Clover for UEFI mode.

Any attempts to delete partitions in Windows installer creates the extra 'System Reserved' drive (MSR).

I have been trying to only use the pre-existing partitions, but it seems the Windows installer wants to recreate then partitions even if I just select install.

I used the DVD burner. Do I need it to be USB?

I tried that (formatting using gparted), but then Windows asks to install additional partitions, and gives me that error code 0xc0000005 again.

I've never run into that... I'm always able to choose "Custom Install" and install in-place into the chosen partition after formatting it.

The only time I've heard of people not being able to format the HFS+J placeholders was when they were using an OEM copy of Windows, not retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back