Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 1366 x 768
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a confusing problem.

I am attempting to install a dual boot between Mavericks and Windows 8.1 on a single hard drive. I have the partition table set up as GPT/GUID.

As a note, my laptop can hold only one hard drive. Also my laptop has a feature to enable or disable UEFI/Legacy (UEFI) vs Legacy support.

(UEFI Enabled):

From what I understand it is best to, install OSX first.

When I do, OSX installtion works until installation of Windows 8.
  • The issue is when I attempt to install, it claims that the drive is on a MBR table and requires a GPT table (which it is GPT).
  • I have tried deleting the OSX partition and leaving the EFI partition intact. The installation halts with an error of 0x0000005 which is a partition compatibility issue.
  • I end up removing the EFI partition and install Windows. Everything installs okay, I go back to install OSX, and it works. I try to install clover and it does not appear to work. (Installation failure with UEFI Enabled or Legacy Enabled)

(Legacy Enabled):

I have gotten OSX installed first (UEFI Enabled for the EFI partition to be created)
  • Then Windows installed (Legacy Enabled because then I do not get the error of MBR/GPT table).
  • Everything installs, including Clover.
  • When I boot, (Legacy Enabled because clover does not seem to boot with UEFI/Legacy enabled), the clover bootloader menu does not see the Windows installation. It just has the OSX and Boot UEFI entry.

I know this is a bit confusing, but does anyone have any ideas? The whole EFI partition from my understanding should have a Microsoft folder in it when I am supposed to Install Windows 8 (without error 0xC0000005) and it only appears when I tried installing Windows on a tiny cache drive integrated into the hard drive.

As a note, I tried this:

It is definitely something that it doesn't like about the EFI partition. I was able to partition in Windows but had to use diskpart at the command line before running the Windows installer.

The process went like this:
- boot Windows installer USB
- at first screen press Shift+F10 to get command prompt
- type: diskpart
- type: list disk (to you're certain on the disk you're working with, in my case confirms disk 0)
- type: select disk 0
- type: clean (don't blame me if you don't know what this does :)
- type: convert gpt
- type: create partition efi size=200
- type: format quick fs=fat32 label="EFI"
- type: create partition msr size=128
- type: exit
- type: exit

Now you can continue with the Windows Installer, and install to unallocated space (via Custom).

If you go into Disk Utility after installing Windows with this setup, you'll find it likes the EFI setup.

Obviously, the above doesn't help someone with a similar setup from an OEM, but it does allow a fresh install of Windows UEFI first.

Next up: Determine if there is a way to fix the broken situation after a default fresh install... Stay tuned...

And Windows tries to create additional partitions and fails to install with the same 0xC0000005 error.

As a note, I tried this:

And Windows tries to create additional partitions and fails to install with the same 0xC0000005 error.

You should be doing a "custom install" from the Windows installer.

You should be doing a "custom install" from the Windows installer.

I am. That is the only option other than "Upgrade". I set up the installation like in post #2:

System (EFI) 200 MB
MSR Reserved 128 MB
Unallocated ...

and then after attempting to create a partition for Windows, it creates:

Recovery 300 MB
System 100 MB
MSR Reserved 128 MB
Primary 243.5 GB

in addition to previous partitions. I am assuming that the second listing is an attempt at creating another EFI partition but I am not sure. I have tried removing that partition hoping it would resort to the first one when installing also, but with the same result.

I am. That is the only option other than "Upgrade". I set up the installation like in post #2:

System (EFI) 200 MB
MSR Reserved 128 MB
Unallocated ...

and then after attempting to create a partition for Windows, it creates:

Recovery 300 MB
System 100 MB
MSR Reserved 128 MB
Primary 243.5 GB

in addition to previous partitions. I am assuming that the second listing is an attempt at creating another EFI partition but I am not sure. I have tried removing that partition hoping it would resort to the first one when installing also, but with the same result.

You should not create a reserved partition.

In addition, if you are not trying to preserve an existing Windows install, it is best to do all partitioning in Disk Utility.

See here for details: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html. Read the entire thread.

You should not create a reserved partition.

In addition, if you are not trying to preserve an existing Windows install, it is best to do all partitioning in Disk Utility.

See here for details: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html. Read the entire thread.

I tried to do all partitioning in Disk Utility; however, when I try to reformat the disk from Fat 32 to NTFS in the Windows Installer, it claims to have a MBR Table, even though it does not. (Which is why I tried to start from the Windows Installer).

I can install it but only in Legacy mode.
error.PNG

I tried to do all partitioning in Disk Utility; however, when I try to reformat the disk from Fat 32 to NTFS in the Windows Installer, it claims to have a MBR Table, even though it does not.

Pilot error.

If you create a FAT32 partition in Disk Utility, your disk *does have* an MBR table. In fact, it has both MBR and GPT. OS X Disk Utility creates a hybrid MBR/GPT partition setup in this case as it must do that for BootCamp on real Macs. You can read more about hybrids here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

You want to keep Disk Utility from creating a hybrid (so you can install Windows UEFI to pure GPT). So... don't create any Windows formatted partitions when you partition within Disk Utility. Use HFS+J placeholders instead. Reformat them once you get into the Windows installer.

Pilot error.

If you create a FAT32 partition in Disk Utility, your disk *does have* an MBR table. In fact, it has both MBR and GPT. OS X Disk Utility creates a hybrid MBR/GPT partition setup in this case as it must do that for BootCamp on real Macs. You can read more about hybrids here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

You want to keep Disk Utility from creating a hybrid (so you can install Windows UEFI to pure GPT). So... don't create any Windows formatted partitions when you partition within Disk Utility. Use HFS+J placeholders instead. Reformat them once you get into the Windows installer.

I have tried that too. The format button is greyed out when I attempt to install it.

I have tried that too. The format button is greyed out when I attempt to install it.

Make sure there is no hybrid. You can check in diskpart. Hit shift+F10 as soon as the Windows installer comes up. Then type 'diskpart' and enter. Then type 'list disk'. The HDD should be listed with a '*' in the GPT column.

Also, make sure you are booting the Windows installer in UEFI mode. If you boot it in legacy mode, the Windows installer will not let you install to a pure-GPT drive.

Also, make sure you're using a retail Windows image (not a recover disk the OEM might have provided). OEMs often limit how you can install Windows.

Make sure there is no hybrid. You can check in diskpart. Hit shift+F10 as soon as the Windows installer comes up. Then type 'diskpart' and enter. Then type 'list disk'. The HDD should be listed with a '*' in the GPT column.

Also, make sure you are booting the Windows installer in UEFI mode. If you boot it in legacy mode, the Windows installer will not let you install to a pure-GPT drive.

Also, make sure you're using a retail Windows image (not a recover disk the OEM might have provided). OEMs often limit how you can install Windows.

My drive is indicated as GPT in the column, and I believe I am booting in UEFI mode (I tried it both ways to no avail). I downloaded an iso directly from Microsoft, which I assume is normal. All other resources indicate that those iso files are considered retail. I attempted to do the same thing with Windows 8 and not 8.1 and I got the same result. Should I perhaps try another source for an iso?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back