Contribute
Register

EDID extraction from a Sony - how to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saq

Motherboard
Lenovo m910t
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
HD 630
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
The Sony SVJ202 has a few difficult edges. It's running, but backlight is not adjustable and the screen won't come back on after sleep. I'm working on trying to get the EDID to modify, because that was noted as a likely issue. It is a very difficult endeavor, it seems.

The MacOS 10.12 installation doesn't have a readable EDID using the Mac tools - not a surprise there, as it doesn't seem to be able to see the panel anyway beyond just a generic laptop LCD. I booted up Knoppix and have tried get-edid (it errors out with "Call Failed"), "edid-decode < /sys/class/drm/card-0-LVDS-1/edid" which errors out with "EDID block does not conform at all! Bad year of manufacture Manufacturer name field contains garbage (it is "Manufacturer : @@@ Model 0 Serial Number 0 EDID version: 0.0 and all zeros for everything else).

If I plug in the data from xrandr it has "Manufacturer: NQ@ Model 696d Serial Number 1970104686", valid timings, EDID version 51.50, but a bad checksum and the error "EDID block does not conform at all! Block has broken checksum Bad year of manufacture Bad week of manufacture Manufacturer name field contains garbage.

Not sure where to go from here.
Machine info:
Sony VAIO SVJ202
Intel Core i5-3317U
Intel 7 series chipset
HD4000 mobile graphics.
8GB RAM
UEFI firmware, Sierra installed with Clover. Patched to 10.12.6

The Sony SVJ202 has a few difficult edges. It's running, but backlight is not adjustable and the screen won't come back on after sleep. I'm working on trying to get the EDID to modify, because that was noted as a likely issue. It is a very difficult endeavor, it seems.

The MacOS 10.12 installation doesn't have a readable EDID using the Mac tools - not a surprise there, as it doesn't seem to be able to see the panel anyway beyond just a generic laptop LCD. I booted up Knoppix and have tried get-edid (it errors out with "Call Failed"), "edid-decode < /sys/class/drm/card-0-LVDS-1/edid" which errors out with "EDID block does not conform at all! Bad year of manufacture Manufacturer name field contains garbage (it is "Manufacturer : @@@ Model 0 Serial Number 0 EDID version: 0.0 and all zeros for everything else).

If I plug in the data from xrandr it has "Manufacturer: NQ@ Model 696d Serial Number 1970104686", valid timings, EDID version 51.50, but a bad checksum and the error "EDID block does not conform at all! Block has broken checksum Bad year of manufacture Bad week of manufacture Manufacturer name field contains garbage.

Not sure where to go from here.
Machine info:
Sony VAIO SVJ202
Intel Core i5-3317U
Intel 7 series chipset
HD4000 mobile graphics.
8GB RAM
UEFI firmware, Sierra installed with Clover. Patched to 10.12.6

You can extract EDID using the Intel HD Graphics applet in Windows.

But you should probably post problem reporting files...

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Note for people who have Sony all-in-ones or laptops: Don't bother working too hard to extract the EDID. Sony has decided that for some reason it's not in their interest to support the EDID standard, so all of the manufacturer/part/date/serial stuff is not valid. I think the various modes are valid, so there's at least something to show from all that time spent downloading the Windows trial edition etc.
I will post full problem reporting files when I get the Sony put back together as a Mac. I was hoping that it would be an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back