Contribute
Register

Economy of Hackintoshing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, as trs96 says, everything depends on the configuration, that's the real questionnaire of the matter.
Choose already tested configurations, do not make tests and inventions and once you have everything in motion with a clone to an external will always have the guarantee of being able to start backwards.
There are more than tested hardware combinations, I only keep an original iMac just in case but everything is hackintosh, of various types and forms and, with the exception of testing, all work very well.
The problem comes when we want to take advantage of our machine, there is the problem of trying to make it compatible, but being able to start from scratch is perfect.
Stay in mojave until the community has thoroughly tested the next version of the system.
Logically, at first you have to waste some time, but once you have the proven community configuration it's a matter of making the leap.
I haven't bought an Apple again because I'm not satisfied with its "obligations" for the user at crazy prices, I love its software but not its hardware at gold prices, very nice design but....
And unfortunately I must have a Windows for my customers, but I've had more problems with it than with my hackintosh and let's not talk about Windows updates.....

I update as and when I want and when I want at reasonable prices and all thanks to this community that makes the miracle!

(I feel my bad English)
Greetings to all :thumbup:

everything depends on the configuration, that's the real question of the matter
This is very true. I built the CustoMac mATX Sandy Bridge Z68 system 7+ years ago and it still has Mojave compatibility right now with nothing more than a $120 AMD graphics card upgrade. It's been absolutely flawless. Some of the older Macs I've owned have lasted a really long time but the current new offerings have gone way up in price and down in reliability not to mention repairability.

These last replies are really good.

While I could theoretically "make the difference in days", it's not like I'd be turning work away to maintain my machine ( I do have days with no work!), so the lower initial cost is definitely a factor, plus another "economy" factor that occurred to me is that if I keep the machine for 5 years, the time savings in waiting for renders (alone) will more than offset a few days lost at the start to set it up. Plus it will be upgradeable, cleanable and I can run internal RAID. And as much as I can almost justify the cost of an iMac Pro, it stills burns to think of paying that much for an already hobbled machine. It doesn't help that macs are so expensive in Australia!

From what I've read about the "possibly 2019" MP once you've fully configured one for Pro use it will be well over 10,000 USD not including sales tax or in the UK VAT. Then add 3 years of Apple Care and it's getting close to buying a good used car. Even then, Apple's revenue from selling these will be a drop in the ocean. They make more money in one day of selling iPhones than they've probably made in the last 6 years of selling the trashcan mac pro. This is why the MP has been so neglected for so long. It really does nothing for their bottom line revenue. That's what Cook is all about. The Mac Pro now is more about making a statement rather than creating a computer that people can afford to purchase and use to get their work done. If you don't have an extremely large budget with lots of disposable income the hackintosh approach makes so much more sense. Hollywood studios will buy these new machines at these prices and not blink, but individuals that are self employed find it really hard to invest that much into one computer.

Your post really annoyed me.....because you're probably right :clap:

I'm going to wait for the MP2019 remix version and see what it looks like. It needs to have decent CPU's, decent graphics cards, capable of lots of RAM, non proprietary connectors, internal disk connectors (more than 2 disks). No thermal limiting, I'll repeat that, NO THERMAL LIMITING. It also needs to come in at less than the price of a house in Middlesborough.

I have to say my current Hack is four years old but I don't feel like it's that old. It works really well though it only has 32GB RAM, a i7 4770 and dual 280X cards. I'm kind of tempted by 4K monitors but just for bragging rights at the pub.

Double bonus points for knowing about UK VAT as well :) Currently 20% :shifty:

And to make things even more complicated we also have the rumor of the ARM transition. o_O
The whole Apple thing makes me nervous.

I love using macOS but I don't like their whole Harddware lineup at the momnet.
Yeah iPad ok , nice, iPhone ok but broken Butterfly Keyboards or glued together Hardware which gets outdated next year , nope thanks.

How do people feel when buying a iMac Pro today ? Or don't they think at all ? OK with unlimited resources well. But me as musician?!

The whole things stops me from further using my Logic X setup since I dont like to invest any further time in a dying platform.

How do you feel / think about all that ? Am I to sensitive ?

Last edited:
How do you feel / think about all that ?
These are all very real and valid concerns. Apple is doing quite well in the stock market, their total valuation is above one trillion dollars again and some predict it's headed to 1.5 trillion. This is more money than the GNP of many countries in the world. I think it's pretty obvious they really don't care whether the "little guys" like us can afford what they sell anymore. This is why Wozniak left Apple early in the 1980's. He saw the direction they were headed and didn't like it at all. He was smart enough though to keep his Apple stock. He wanted no part of a company that only made ultra expensive tech gadgets for only the very rich. He was about bringing the power of personal computing to everyone. Not 35% profit margins and the Apple tax.

How do people feel when buying a iMac Pro today ? Or don't they think at all ? OK with unlimited resources well. But me as musician?!

The whole things stops me from further using my Logic X setup since I dont like to invest any further time in a dying platform.

How do you feel / think about all that ? Am I to sensitive ?
[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons I switched to Cubase 3 years ago. Cubase will run on a cheaper Windows PC too. Desktop Macs are of very little concern to Apple. I didn't want to be stuck in a corner with Mac only Logic Pro as my DAW.

I've also been contemplating Reaper or Waveform on Linux, but there's not enough choice/support for third party plug ins and hardware(soundcards etc.) at this point in time.

Apple is an exclusive brand. That's OK if you have (and are willing to spend) the money, but for lots of people Apple is just too expensive. Tesla makes superior electric cars, but my next vehicle is probably going to be a plain white Hyundai Ioniq. Not in the same league, but that's all I can afford.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back