Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Recently, my machine has been riddled with issues. Whenever I shutdown my computer and boot from a cold start, it would display the following:

EBios Read Error: Device Timeout Block 0x0 Sector

If I hard restart it after the error, it works fine again. What's would be causing this issue? And, how I fix it?

I'm currently have the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R FB Bios
Intel Core i7-930
Gigabyte Radeon HD5770
Sony Optiarc DVD Burner SATA
Samsung HDD F3 1TB
Hitachi HDD 1TB
G. Skills Ripjaws 6GB RAM

Is it possible that I might need to update my bios to the latest?

Any help is appreciated.

just1ncase said:
Recently, my machine has been riddled with issues. Whenever I shutdown my computer and boot from a cold start, it would display the following:

EBios Read Error: Device Timeout Block 0x0 Sector

If I hard restart it after the error, it works fine again. What's would be causing this issue? And, how I fix it?

I'm currently have the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R FB Bios
Intel Core i7-930
Gigabyte Radeon HD5770
Sony Optiarc DVD Burner SATA
Samsung HDD F3 1TB
Hitachi HDD 1TB
G. Skills Ripjaws 6GB RAM

Is it possible that I might need to update my bios to the latest?

Any help is appreciated.
Boot to BIOS and remove the dvd drive from the device boot order and see if that fixes the problem. Some dvd drives cause this error, usually IDE drives.

ikingblack said:
I thought I saw you say it was a SATA drive...
You will notice I said "usually IDE drives". It is definitely not common that a Sony Optiarc SATA drive would display this behavior, but removing the DVD drive from the boot device order is the first step in trouble-shooting the problem.

Interesting, my current boot order starts with my SATA DVD Drive and is followed by my Snow Leopard start up drive. So, it may be causing this weird error. I'll change the boot order and give it a shoot. Thanks!

By any chance, why changing my boot order away from my SATA Drive may resolve this issue? Is it a conflict between my machine Bios with the SATA DVD drive set as a first boot priority?

just1ncase said:
Interesting, my current boot order starts with my SATA DVD Drive and is followed by my Snow Leopard start up drive. So, it may be causing this weird error. I'll change the boot order and give it a shoot. Thanks!

By any chance, why changing my boot order away from my SATA Drive may resolve this issue? Is it a conflict between my machine Bios with the SATA DVD drive set as a first boot priority?
Conflicts between the DVD firmware and the OS X sometimes, other conflicts othertimes. That is why I said it was a first step in the trouble-shooting process. Sometimes just leaving a disk in the tray cures the problem.

If removing the DVD from the device boot order cures the problem, then you know it was the dvd drive. You can then go to the dvd manufacturers web site and check for firmware updates and apply latest if one is available. Then put it back in the device boot order and check to see if that solved the problem.

Not really important if it doesn't, since you can leave the dvd out of the boot order and hit f12 at BIOS post to boot with a disc in it if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back