Contribute
Register

Easy Way to make a Bootable Clone of your macOS System Drive

@Azimuth1 I guess I should have asked whether you actually have ATI 2021 or used the Windows10XPE scripts ?

If your backups are really important I would just buy a perpetual license for 2021 and install it on your Big Sur drive.

Last edited:
@Azimuth1 I guess I should have asked whether you actually have ATI 2021 or used the Windows10XPE scripts ?

If your backups are really important I would just buy a perpetual license for 2021 and install it on your Big Sur drive.

Thanks for the reply. I simply generated with scripts the Win10XPE ISO and burned to the USB stick. Tomorrow I will check for the ATI 2021 version... but I will just use it once because normally I don't need to clone my boot disk, just in this case because I bought a new NVMe.

I've used EaseUS Disk Copy for years. It's free, you put it onto a USB thumb drive. Boot from the thumb drive, select drive to copy and destination drive and it copies one HD to another HD sector by sector. An Exact copy of the entire HD - EFI...everything. It's absolutely perfect for Hackintosh.

I downloaded it 5 or 6 years ago.

I think I've I've found a link to the version I use (v2.3) here:
https://easeus-disk-copy-home-edition.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/40316

All I know is that I've got a USB thumb drive with a free version of EaseUS Disk Copy on it that clones all my OS HD's in thier entirety.

Last edited:
Latest CCC still works, is still shareware, and can create bootable clone with Big Sur signed system volume, but more care is needed since Big Sur.

The CCC author recommends making a Data volume only clone with incrementals and recovering by reinstall macOS and run Migration Assistant. This is far less usable than pre-Big Sur bootable clones, but hackintosh users should be used to handling multiple installs.

CCC can still make Big Sur bootable clone with some caveats.

The key to a bootable clone is to choose Destination: "Legacy Apple APFS Replicator" to make the bootable clone.

(You can also run the replicator from the command line, but that's another topic.)

APFS Replicator can work fine but has some major drawbacks:
  1. The destination must be reformatted, so you may want an alternate drive. CCC does the format automatically after a warning.
  2. Any source device read error causes the APFS Replicator to fail with no explanation, and it can't be restarted. THIS IS A BIG PITFALL BUT IF SOURCE HAS ERRORS AT LEAST YOU KNOW.
  3. Doing later incremental updates to system files will break the crypto seal and make macOS unbootable, so incrementals should only update selected areas of the Data volume. A PITFALL HERE is due to macOS updates not being included, this can lead to problems if OS updates applied since Replication changes data formats or locations of user data. Your clone OS might be an earlier release than last used with your data.
  4. EFI must be migrated by hand, but there is a 3 party script add-on for CCC which can automate it.
I prefer making a APFS Replicator clone, then updating Data volume incrementally and applying macOS updates to backup drive by hand.

If you have OCD tendencies on updates, you may want to consider changing to a restrained approach such as SW updates once per quarter to keep organized and manage change. It can pay to let others live on bleeding edge.

CCC native file copier is still tolerant of source errors and will report specific affected files.

INSTEAD OF CCC:

If your destination is same size as source (or larger, with a caveat) another option is to use GNU ddrescue command. This will copy every block of source to destination like dd(1) but is restartable and therefore great for recovery from falling source. Use a Linux rescue image or Ubuntu live image. You will have to install the tool using a package mgr, but this is not hard for anyone who can build a hackintosh. Also you need to ensure that neither the source nor destination is touched during the clone or the destination will be corrupted. You can google ways to secure them for the clone.

(Caveat: If you ddrescue to a larger drive, you need a proven way to expand your partition table, to gain access to extra space. On Linux Gparted helps with this. But it's not APFS cognizant so there are limitations)

ddrescue is also good for determining source device errors. If you make the destination /dev/null you can scan the source at top speed and use the resulting map file for simple forensics. Again, Apple's proprietary APFS is a limit.

There is a very complete guide for GNU ddrescue online.

Thanks for that link, I burnt it onto a working 16gb USB drive, and it boots with a splash screen saying ...please wait.... and hangs. It's probably something in the Z490 chipset/bios but it's sadly not running in DOS.
That's a shame, you could try the latest version - https://easeus-disk-copy-home-edition.en.uptodown.com/windows/download
My Gigabyte P67A-UD3P-B3 runs it fine but I had a HP PC and a Lenovo laptop that came my way that wouldn't run it so I ended up taking out the drives and cloning them via my P67 mobo Hackintosh. Perhaps it's a bios setting, I'm not sure. You could email or live chat EaseUS and ask them - they usually answer quite quickly. https://www.easeus.com/

It's been about 3 years since the original post. Probably time for an update.

Acronis True Image ended with the 2021 version. You could buy that and enjoy a perpetual license to use it. You can still buy it at places like Newegg and Amazon. It will work to clone Big Sur and Monterey.

Now in 2022 it is called Cyber Protect Home Office and subscription only. Retail price is $49.99 per year. Is it worth it when there are other free options to clone your hackintosh ? Only you can answer that. If you want the easiest, no hassle way to make clones and backups on a regular basis, it's one of the better choices. The security bundled in is not a bad idea. Macs do get more malware than they ever used to. https://www.acronis.com/en-us/products/true-image/

If you want "easy" this is the way to go. Simple GUI menus, a few clicks and your clone is happening.
If I used Win10/11 on a regular basis, as my daily driver, I'd be running the latest CPHO in real time for all the anti-malware and ransomware protection that offers. Malwarebytes is good too

1658587351394.png

Last edited:
Tried to make a bootable clone of my Hackintosh to a spare ssd drive using CCC (tock forever ca 40min).
after copying the EFI from my boot drive to the new ssd and tried to boot the system goes a bit and the shuts down.?
Catalina 10.15.4
CCC / 5.1.28
FYI, It was discovered on another thread that you have to be booted from the source when making the clone with CCC. Making the copy while booted from a 3rd drive leads to trouble. This was determined by a support conversation with maker of CCC.

Is there any consensus way to do this with Ventura? Or are days of cloning just gone?

Some people say they've done it with SuperDuper, some with CCC, some with Acronis. I haven't had success with any of these and Ventura. It seems to fail somewhere, or is taking an unreasonably long time from an internal nvme to an external nvme in a 20gbps enclosure. Like 8 hours

Let me try Acronis 2021 one more time from a winPE...

I tried to make a bootable backup with CCC, then mounted the efi partitions and copied over the efi folder, but the backup isn't bootable. Is this a dead method? Is there a free or inexpensive method which is popular in 2024?

Is this a dead method?
Read Casey's CCC guide for the newer macOS versions. His Golden Builds have it.

Apple made changes in macOS that created problems for CCC. Requires that you choose Legacy bootable backup.

Screenshot 9.jpg

Last edited:
Back