Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
splash.jpg

SteamOS is a full Linux-based operating system by Valve. It was just released to the public for free as a beta, with the purpose of being a "console replacement" and easily navigate the online gaming store Steam. It's based on the longtime Linux distribution Debian.

Unfortunately, since it's a Beta, it's not a super easy installation process. The following guide will allow you to easily prepare a bootable USB on OS X in order to install the operating system. I used my main system to install (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH + Core i7-3770K + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 + 16GB RAM) however any recommended CustoMac with UEFI BIOS will work.

System Requirements:
The full FAQ is here. We've outlined the general steps for simple OS X preparation below.

• UEFI boot support
  • Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
  • 4GB or more memory
  • 500GB or larger disk (suggested)
  • NVIDIA graphics card (AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon)
  • USB port for installation
  • 4GB+ USB drive
  • Internet connection to download

STEP 1: Download SteamOS Beta
The first step is to download the SteamOS Installer from repo.steampowered.com. The OS is a free download.

1. Download the latest SteamOS Beta system restore image here
2. SteamOSInstaller.zip will appear in ~/Downloads
3. When the download completes, double click the file to unzip​

STEP 2: Format USB Drive Using Disk Utility
Next, we'll use the OS X Disk Utility to partition and format the USB drive. WARNING: THIS PROCESS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE TARGET USB DRIVE.

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose Master Boot Record
8. Under Name: type USB
9. Under Format: choose MS-DOS (FAT)
10. Click Apply then Partition
Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 12.37.11 PM.png

STEP 3: Create a Bootable USB
Almost done! Just need to get the operating system onto the USB.

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
2. Type the following command:

Code:
sudo cp -R -p ~/Downloads/SteamOSInstaller/ /Volumes/USB/

3. Type your password​

When the process finishes, your USB is complete. Power off the computer.
Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 12.34.28 PM.png

STEP 4: Boot from USB and Install SteamOS Beta
Lastly, boot from USB and install the operating system. Unplug all other drives but the USB and the target hard drive to make sure you don't overwrite anything. WARNING: THIS PROCESS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE HARD DRIVE.

1. Turn on the computer
2. Press the hotkey to choose boot device

If you have a Gigabyte motherboard press F12
If you have a ASUS motherboard, press F8

3. Choose UEFI: USB (Name will be unique to your USB manufacturer's disk label)
4. When prompted by menu, choose Automated Install
5. The process is automated- it will find the hard drive, format it, and use it to install the OS
6. When the process ends, hit Continue
7. The computer will now restart, and boot from hard drive into SteamOS Beta
8. Hit dropdown for GNOME, then log into "steam" user

login: steam
password: steam

8. Open Applications/Terminal and type steam to launch Steam
9. Accept EULA, and Steam will start downloading and setting up files
10. Log out of "steam" user
11: Hit dropdown for GNOME, then log into "desktop" user

login: desktop
password: desktop

12. Double click home then double click post_logon.sh

Screenshot from 2013-12-14 09_12_08.png

13. When prompted for a password type desktop
14. The computer will reboot and progress into more setup
15. When prompted to continue, type y
16. When prompted to Choose mode, choose reboot
17. The computer will reboot again, this time directly into SteamOS!​

Yay, you now have a fresh hard drive with SteamOS Beta on it! Let us know if you have any other methods, or any interesting stuff to share about the process. Enjoy!

Related:
SteamOS Home Page
SteamOS FAQ
SteamOS Repo (Downloads)
SteamOS DIY Steam Machine

Initial thoughts- it's a bit of trouble to get installed, but once you are it's very polished! Alot like Big Picture mode, but direct boot.

Confirmed the Playstation 4 Controller is working wired only- through USB- I mapped the buttons and submitted to SteamOS Beta. Xbox One controller is not working. Can't connect bluetooth to either.

There's a full web browser- I guess it's Debian's Firefox version: Iceweasel. As for games, I played Portal- Torchlight 2 and Portal 2 weren't available to download. Also for text input, they've a really nice "Flower" allowing you to type using the controller buttons and stick.

All in all- I recommend everyone to check it out! :thumbup:

Hi ! Nice to have feedback !

How's the overall experience ? Do you believe it can be used as a full fledged OS ? Is it as feature rich as linux ubuntu for example ?

How is dual-booting with OS X going along ?

Good to hear from Steam though. I strongly believe they can change the game by bringing console like OS to computers, and the fact that it's OpenSource and based on Linux is just great !

Waiting to hear more about it !
Clovel

thx. downloading right now. crap i have ati gpu...

How's the overall experience ? Do you believe it can be used as a full fledged OS ?

Very promising. I'm a Mac user mainly, and use Steam on OS X. This is a great usage for a secondary machine- and would be a great replacement for a HTPC OS for sure, especially if you're tied into the Steam ecosystem. They're promising Living room functionality- the web part is already there, so I'd assume video/audio connections with home network for file playback, and so forth. Plugin web-apps for Netflix/Amazon should work just like in Linux. Would be great to do an Airplay like functionality- and it would be a full console/settop replacement for your TV. There's a whole desktop mode as well- for general purpose computing. The Debian/GNOME environment- very much like Ubuntu if you've ever tried that.

How is dual-booting with OS X going along ?

I have not been able to get the Steam volume to show up in Chimera/Chameleon. Most likely because of Legacy vs. UEFI boot. Will require dual boot workarounds.

Thank you for the interesting read. And what would it be useful for? I mean- the Steam already running the games inside of OS X or Windows- why would we need extra OS- does it do anything that other OSs can not do?

The SteamOS Desktop. I found that you can enable an option to Return to Desktop via the EXIT button in the Steam overlay via SETTINGS > INTERFACE. It defaults to Large Text mode, so you can read it from the couch.

Screenshot from 2013-12-15 14_22_17.jpg

I'll post my updates as I go. I built my Steambox using a Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI and an EVGA 760 graphics card. Internet is reached through a Intel 7260HMW AC card. I still have to get my Logitech K400r keyboard working. I'll edit this post when that happens.

Here's a solution I used to get my Intel 7260 AC WiFi card working. Note that you need to set a password for the desktop user before using sudo. (in a terminal session, type passwd)

http://askubuntu.com/questions/331667/no-wireless-for-intel-corporation-7260-version-63

So I turned on the SteamOS tester today, and lo and behold the thing autoupdated before initiating boot. Pretty nice feature.

I would suppose Intel/AMD graphics support was added along with other fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back