EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello All,

I am currently in the process of repairing a friend's build. His SSD has failed which I built for him 5 years ago. It had Mavericks on it and was running great for the past 5 years. So, we've got a new hard drive and ready to install but probably won't be going with High Sierra due to difficulty. I'd like to get this done for him ASAP. Given the mobo in the subject, what Apple OS entry point would you recommend? We'd like something newer than Mavericks but obviously not HS (not that it would work in the first place). Thanks in advance for any advice and direction to any other posts for this mobo!

Either El Capitan or Sierra would be a good choice. The end of support for Mavericks is already here. Sierra is required if he wants a Pascal based gfx card or wants to go with a budget GT 710 graphics card.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply trs96! I think I'm going to give ElCapitan a go. The graphics card in this build is an NVidia GTX 560 so no pascal based gfx to worry about. Now, I just need to get to the installer, which always seems to be a challenge. Is the UniBeast path still a good route or is there another boot media I need to look at? Thanks again!

Thank you for your reply trs96! I think I'm going to give El Capitan a go. The graphics card in this build is an NVidia GTX 560 so no pascal based gfx to worry about. Now, I just need to get to the installer, which always seems to be a challenge. Is the UniBeast path still a good route or is there another boot media I need to look at? Thanks again!

Mavericks and Yosemite are now out of support, and so if you still want some "support" (security updates only) then you can use El Capitan or Sierra. Actually the system should run Mountain Lion or above.

You can use Unibeast (version 6 is for El Capitan) to create a bootable USB stick from a copy of El Capitan downloaded from the App Store.

Are you all saying that this mobo won't support High Sierra? I thought I saw another post mentioning a successful upgrade to it.

Are you all saying that this mobo won't support High Sierra? I thought I saw another post mentioning a successful upgrade to it.
You can install HS on any Z77 Gigabyte mobo with Core I processor. Use either HD4000 graphics or a compatible dedicated graphics card.

No, of course not. I said before "Actually the system should run Mountain Lion or above.", which includes High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back