Contribute
Register

Early reboot on Yosemite even after applying the recommended patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only remaining problem I've got is the extreme flickering after booting Yosemite. Attached is my IOReg as well as Boot.plist. Have you maybe got an idea what could be wrong here?

I don't know the details of enabling nvidia, but from ioreg, I can see you don't have the nvidia drivers working. You have VESA drivers, which are intended only for recovery purposes, not daily use.

Also a feedback regarding NullEthernet Kext. I've installed & used it with Mavericks in the past without any problem and it indeed resolved my login problems with AppStore. However to make it work on Yosemite I had to remove the following line, then it worked like a charm:

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Nu...tInjector/NullEthernetInjector-Info.plist#L42

As it used to complain about "syntactic error..." or something on that line.

I don't see any issue there. Without it, you cannot set a MAC address.

I don't know the details of enabling nvidia, but from ioreg, I can see you don't have the nvidia drivers working. You have VESA drivers, which are intended only for recovery purposes, not daily use.

Yes you're right. I've had no success to find a working driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 9600M since my early days with ML. The workaround has always been to delete NVDAStartup.kext and then rebuild the cache, otherwise had that black-screen effect while booting OS-X.

Right after the Yosemite installation I realized the flickering effect, then installed NVEnabler64.kext which made no change. Nevertheless at least "About this Mac" now shows a proper description of my Graphics card (see the Attachment) instead of just "Display". Until last week, using Mavericks, the flickering effect was ONLY when I opened Safari but using Chrome was fine without any flickering. But now on Yosemite both do flicker. Also in case of windows like "Finder", as I open one, the upper menu bar on the window is sometimes missing, then I click on the area, and if I'm lucky the window's menu bar appears with those three red, yellow and green circles,

I want to avoid going all the way back to Mavericks again if you maybe have any idea what else I should try?

I don't see any issue there. Without it, you cannot set a MAC address.

Believe me or not that was the problem in my case. In case I find some free time, then I will undo my change and send you the exact error message being logged into Console.app

Thanks for all your HARD work!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 08.48.53.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 08.48.53.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 102
Yes you're right. I've had no success to find a working driver for my NVIDIA GeForce 9600M since my early days with ML. The workaround has always been to delete NVDAStartup.kext and then rebuild the cache, otherwise had that black-screen effect while booting OS-X.

Right after the Yosemite installation I realized the flickering effect, then installed NVEnabler64.kext which made no change. Nevertheless at least "About this Mac" now shows a proper description of my Graphics card (see the Attachment) instead of just "Display". Until last week, using Mavericks, the flickering effect was ONLY when I opened Safari but using Chrome was fine without any flickering. But now on Yosemite both do flicker. Also in case of windows like "Finder", as I open one, the upper menu bar on the window is sometimes missing, then I click on the area, and if I'm lucky the window's menu bar appears with those three red, yellow and green circles,

I want to avoid going all the way back to Mavericks again if you maybe have any idea what else I should try?

You should try to properly enable your nvidia drivers on your laptop (probably will involve some DSDT patches specific to nvidia). You also need to use an smbios that would normally have nvidia. OS X is not designed to work well without QE/CI.

You should try to properly enable your nvidia drivers on your laptop (probably will involve some DSDT patches specific to nvidia). You also need to use an smbios that would normally have nvidia. OS X is not designed to work well without QE/CI.

Would you please provide me links to some step by step documentation. Don't know what DSDT patching exactly is. And what do you mean with QE/CI?

The "newest" BIOS I'm aware of is the one here (from 2009):

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/VGN-AW11Z/list

Which only provides enabling/disabling Intel-VT thing, that's it. There's no more options in it to tweak the settings.

Would you please provide me links to some step by step documentation. Don't know what DSDT patching exactly is. And what do you mean with QE/CI?

You can google 'CI Core Image' and 'QE Quartz Extreme' to find their meaning. Basically it means graphics drivers working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back