Contribute
Register

dyuhas' Dual-boot mATX Build: Core i7-4770k - GA-Z87MX-D3H - 16GB RAM - GTX 650Ti Boost 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUCCESS! But...

In my rush I had forgotten to format the SSD - DOH! I worked through the Mavericks guide steps and everything went smoothly. I had audio, wireless, homesharing all working.

The one thing I have found that hangs the machine is trying to watch an iTunes movie trailer.

I accepted an iTunes update, so I am not sure if that is a factor...i plan to go back and reinstall the OS.

In general is it best to just not accept any updates of Apple software? Why is that?

Thanks again!

Woohoo. I actually helped somebody get their customac up and running. I'm usually the one asking the questions. I'm very glad to hear you are running smooth.

I'm not sure about the iTunes video trailers. I usually just go to IMDB to watch trailers. They always seem better and in HD. As for updates, I've actually accepted any and all updates and everything seems to be fine. I'm planning a re-install as well, just to see how it goes.

Tip: I re-ran MultiBeast and installed "Trim Enabler" and surprisingly, it actually made a difference in SSD speed. You may or may not get the same mileage since your install is pretty much new.

How do you like the GTX 670? It's a couple steps up from the GTX 650Ti, so I'm wondering if I should have gone with that chipset.

Anyway, sorry I don't have any info on iTunes. If you need any more help, just post and I'll try my best.

Best of luck.

How did u managed to fit mATX board into Mini ITX Cabinet?
I also have the same chassis.Does it requires modding?

Edit: Oops! My bad! Haven't read Bitfenix also released chassis for mATX boards.
Should have waited before buying mITX version. Anyways.

That's cool. Actually, I may be the first posted build in the new Prodigy-M (mATX) case. I loved the look of the Prodigy, but wanted a mATX build. When I first saw that they were coming out with it, I pre-ordered it immediately.

Now, my sister and brother-in-law were so blown away with the system, they're buying it. Moving on to the next build, I chose something even more sexy. It's the closest thing I could find that competed (squarely) with the new upcoming Mac Pro. Check it out.

FT03.jpg

It's 100% free of cables on all four sides, mATX, and has the most effective cooling I've seen in any case (except the giant XL towers).

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Love my new machine. I have never built a computer before and your help, along with this amazing site/community made it pretty painless. :thumbup:

I checked out the FT03 case also - was very tempted, but decided on something a little easier to build. I am sure yours will be awesome.

Not really putting the GTX 670 to use yet - will update when I do.

Best regards!

Wow! That's awesome. I'm really glad your system is running well. :headbang:

You realize, though, that now you HAVE to post your build in the "user builds" section. I, for one, want to see this piece of awesomeness that I helped get hummin' along. I may not get a notice when you do, so if you don't mind, post a reply here in this thread so I will be notified to go check it out.

Best of luck with your new build.

dyuhas, this machine is almost identical to the machine I am looking to build, minus the discrete graphics, and the brands of memory and PSU.

I am in love with the Bitfenix Prodigy M and am planning on building a beautiful looking, quiet, cool, and powerful machine.
do you have any other shots of the internals of the case? how are your temps with the AIO water-cooled CPU and the graphics card..

that is my only concern given the case being so small, however I don't see it being much of an issue without a graphics card (I only need the HD4600, I'm a sound engineer)

beautiful looking build and awesome to see you had no real hiccups with OS X installation and compatability (especially since I am looking to build the same system (; ), just some small issues due to you wanting to dual boot.

joshking93,

Unfortunately, I do not have any more photos than the ones that are in the post. Also unfortunately, I threw that baby up on my local craigslist to fund the recent build (also in user builds):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...k-ga-z87n-wifi-16gb-1600mhz-intel-hd4600.html

The Prodigy-M case was actually a pleasure to work in. I switched the side panels because I always have my computer to the right of me and didn't want to have to reach around to the other side to access the USB or audio ports. It was pretty cool to be able to do that. I also like it that way because I could remove the right hand panel without cables being attached.

As for the AIO Seidon 120M liquid cooler, man, I'm done with air cooling since I found this thing. It was actually cheaper than the high-end air cooler I used to use, and doesn't totally cover the motherboard. I've tried a few other AIO liquid coolers, but the Seidon 120M is by far the most consistent, quietest, and capable 120mm radiator cooler I have found.

I clocked that bad boy to 4.5GHz without even breaking a sweat. Temps never went over 40 degrees (Celsius) during Geekbench 3 stress-testing.

As far as the case being small, it's actually not so much. Before they introduced the Prodigy-M (mATX) I built a Windows system with the Prodigy Mini-ITX. It looked pretty small in the photos, but when I received it, it was definitely one of the biggest ITX cases I had seen. The Podigy-M is exactly the same size, just redesigned inside to accommodate a mATX board. Cable management was no problem, but I'm pretty much a perfectionist when it comes to that. If you are not using a graphics card, you'll definitely have room to spare in this case.

Hope this helps.

I have a similar build but am having some problems that I haven't been able to figure out. I have an i7-4770k on a GA-Z87MX-D3H. I've installed Mavericks and multibeast, and I can boot into safe mood fine, but can't boot up otherwise. It always gets stuck on the apple logo with the spinning wheel spinning forever.
When I try to boot up in verbose mode, it stops here forever:
photo_1.jpg

It also seems to be getting hung up for several seconds on the following:
photo_1.jpgphoto_2.jpg

I'm not using a dedicated graphics card and my monitor is hooked up using HDMI. If anyone could help me, please let me know. I need to get this thing working and am getting desperate!

kevindosi: Despite your ending message saying something about bluetooth, it's actually a graphics problem. Which version of MultiBeast are you using? I only ask becasue that halting point was getting common enough that the latest release of MultiBeast (6.0.1) includes two very important boot flags by default: "GraphicsEnabler=No" and "IGPEnabler=Yes". These two make running with on-board graphics a breeze. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back