Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170M-D3H
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm relatively new to this community (a reformed PC user, to be honest), but was able to get my machine up and running last year thanks to this wonderful community and quite a bit of trial and error.

I recently performed a fresh install , upgrading to the 64-bit boot loader. I ran all the standard upgrades and everything was running great. DSDT, near vanilla install. I think I used the sound and network kexts.

A couple of days ago I tried burning a CD from iTunes and, well... nothing happened. I checked the system information and found the following under the Disc Burning heading:

"No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on."

I built my machine 8 months ago with all new parts, so I was pretty sure the drive hadn't crapped out on me. Just to be sure, I swapped it out with two other drives that I knew to work. Still nothing.

What have I run into here? Is there a known issue with OSX 64-bit or could I have some kind of conflict somewhere? I'm fairly confident in my understanding of how to install everything, but with all the workarounds and cheats involved I'm afraid troubleshooting is my weak area. I don't even know where to begin.

Any advice?

pwwhdr70 said:
I'm relatively new to this community (a reformed PC user, to be honest), but was able to get my machine up and running last year thanks to this wonderful community and quite a bit of trial and error.

I recently performed a fresh install , upgrading to the 64-bit boot loader. I ran all the standard upgrades and everything was running great. DSDT, near vanilla install. I think I used the sound and network kexts.

A couple of days ago I tried burning a CD from iTunes and, well... nothing happened. I checked the system information and found the following under the Disc Burning heading:

"No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on."

I built my machine 8 months ago with all new parts, so I was pretty sure the drive hadn't crapped out on me. Just to be sure, I swapped it out with two other drives that I knew to work. Still nothing.

What have I run into here? Is there a known issue with OSX 64-bit or could I have some kind of conflict somewhere? I'm fairly confident in my understanding of how to install everything, but with all the workarounds and cheats involved I'm afraid troubleshooting is my weak area. I don't even know where to begin.

Any advice?
DVD-ROM means just that - Read Only Memory
You need a DVD-RW (read-write) to burn discs with.

:lol: Ok, ya' got me there!

I guess I just use the term as a generic catch-all. Yes, it it a DVD-RW. I've burned plenty of stuff on it before. The other two drives are as well.

But for some reason OSX just decided not to acknowledge any of them.

Is it SATA or PATA? If it is PATA, make sure you use a UDMA cable. Also check if your DSDT is corrupt, and use "Wait=y" at the chameleon prompt to make sure it loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back